History and Genealogy

County Down

(Landowners in 1876 can be got from the index on the main  page of the website under Land Deeds)

Aghaderg Church Records, Parish churches, when records started and where records are kept for Aghaderg Roman Catholic,  C. Of I. and Presbyterian churches, Updated
Aghaderg Townlands and Divisions
Aghaderg or Aghaderrick parish, barony of Upper Iveagh, County Down, Ireland
Valuation of Tenements 1863

AGHADERG, or AGHADERRICK, From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) by Samuel Lewis

 a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER but chiefly in that of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Newry to Belfast; containing, with the towns of Loughbrickland and Scarvagh, 8981 inhabitants. This place formed part of the grant made by Queen Elizabeth, in 1585, to Sir Marmaduke Whitchurch, who built a castle on the shore of Loughbrickland, which was dismantled by Cromwell's army, and remained in ruins till 1812, when it was taken down and a dwelling-house erected on its site. In 1690 William III. encamped here with his army from the 14th to the 25th of June, on his march to the Boyne: vestiges of the camp may still be traced, and Dutch coins are frequently found in the neighbourhood. The parish, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 13,919 statute acres, of which 119 1/4 are covered with water, and 11,772 are applotted under the tithe act; of waste and bog there is one acre to every twenty of arable land, and the pasture land is in the proportion of one to every five acres in tillage. The land is extremely fertile, and under a highly improved system of tillage: the bog is very valuable, being estimated at 32 guineas per acre. Great quantities of clay-slate are raised here for mending the roads and for building purposes; and slate quarries have been formerly worked, but are now discontinued.

The Newry Canal, in its progress to Lough Neagh, forms the western boundary of the parish and the county. There are two lakes; Loughbrickland, which forms the summit level of the canal, is skirted on its western shore by the road from Dublin to Belfast; Loughadian, near the western boundary of the parish, is rendered highly picturesque by the beautiful grounds and rich plantations of Union Lodge, the seat of W. Fivey, Esq. Among the other gentlemen's seats are Scarvagh House, the handsome residence of J. Lushington Reilly, Esq.; Loughbrickland-House, of N. C. Whyte, Esq.; Lisnagrade, of E. H. Trevor, Esq.; and Woodville House, of R. Boardman, Esq. The manufacture of linen is carried on to a considerable extent, many persons being employed at their own houses in weaving damask, diapers, drills, shirtings, and sheetings, for the Banbridge manufacturers. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the bishop; the rectory is united, by charter of the 7th of Jas. I., to the rectories of Seapatrick, Drumballyroney, and Tullylish, and part of those of Drumgooland and Magherally, together constituting the corps of the deanery of Dromore, in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes amount to £746. 14. 3., of which £497. 16. 2. is payable to the dean, and £248. 18. 1. to the vicar.

The gross annual value of the deanery, as returned by the Commissioners on Ecclesiastical Revenues, is £1483. 19. The church is a large handsome edifice, in the early English style, erected in 1688, and a lofty square tower surmounted by an octagonal spire of hewn stone was added to it, for which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821, granted a loan of £500. The glebe-house is a handsome residence; the Board, in 1801, gave £100 towards its erection, and also purchased a glebe of 24 acres for the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is the benefice of the Vicar-general; there are two chapels, one in Loughbrickland, a large and handsome edifice, and a smaller at Lisnagead. There are three places of worship for Presbyterians, one near the lake in connection with the Synod of Ulster, another at Glascar with the Seceding Synod, and a third at Scarvagh, all of the first class; one for Covenanters near Scarvagh, and one for Primitive Methodists at Lough-brickland.

There are two public schools, in which are about 100 boys and 70 girls; and eleven private pay schools, in which are about 400 boys and 290 girls'. Some remains of an ancient church exist in the townland of Drumsallagh; and about half a mile to the south-west of Lough-brickland are three upright stones, called "the three sisters of Greenan," apparently the remains of an ancient cromlech: they are situated on a gentle eminence, and near them is a fourth lying in a ditch. In 1826, a canoe formed out of a solid piece of oak was found in Meenan bog; and in a small earthwork near it were found several gold ornaments, earthen pots, and other relics of antiquity. At Drummillar is a vast cairn of loose stones, 60 feet high and 226 feet in circumference.-- See LOUGHBRICKLAND and SCARVAGH.

Parish of Aghaderg

Whether it is because of its location on the border of the ancient territory of the Ulaid or in the marcher lands between Norman and Celtic Ireland, the history of the Parish of Aghaderg is one that is dominated by stories of battles just as its landscape is dominated by forts, raths and castles.  The name Aghaderg or Achadh Dearg meaning ‘Red Field’ relates to one of these battles, although which one exactly remains a matter for debate.  One of the earliest believed to have taken place within the area was the battle between the Three Collas and the Kingdom of Ulster in the 4th Century AD, which saw so much blood shed that the fields turned red.  The cairns at Drummiller, the forts and raths at Lisnagade and Lisnavaragh and the Dane’s Cast at Scarvagh are further more tangible evidence of the bloody past of the district.

It is also interesting to note just how many of the more important Irish, English and Anglo-Norman families made their homes in Aghaderg over the years.  Loughbrickland itself was a major seat of the Magennises of Iveagh while the O’Reillys of Breiffne later settled in Scarvagh under the name Reilly.  The Magennises were succeeded in the Loughbrickland area by Marmaduke Whitechurch, who was probably the most prominent developer of the district establishing villages, churches and markets that formed the basis of the infrastructure of the area as we now know it.  The Trevors also took over some of the Magennis lands and would go on to become Viscounts Dungannon and Marquis of Downshire, while, later, the Whyte family from Leixlip inherited part of the Whitechurch estate. 

The Magennis castle was believed to be on the shores of Loughbrickland Lake although they also inhabited the crannog on the lake at a time, while the Trevors had a castle at Lisnagade that was later replaced by a fine house.  Whitechurch also seems to have built his castle by the lake although its location has never been accurately located and possible sites range from the site of the Magennis castle to where the old Aghaderg School now stands and also where the Church of Ireland built their Rectory in 1801.     

Parish of Aghaderg

Aghaderg Townlands and Divisions

OS.Map Ref.
1 Ballintaggart Down Loughbrickland 33 & 34
2 Ballygowan Down Scarva 26 & 27 & 33 & 34
3 Ballynaskeagh Down Annaclone 34 & 41
4 Ballyvarley Down Scarva 26 & 27 & 33
5 Bovennett Down Loughbrickland 33 & 34
6 Brickland Down Loughbrickland 34
7 Carrickdrumman Down Loughbrickland 33 & 40
8 Caskum Down Loughbrickland 34
9 Coolnacran Down Loughbrickland 33 & 34
10 Creevy Down Loughbrickland 34 & 41
11 Derrydrummuck Down Loughbrickland 34
12 Dromorebrague Down Loughbrickland 34
13 Drummiller Down Scarva 26 & 33
14 Drumnahare Down Loughbrickland 34
15 Drumsallagh Down Loughbrickland 33
16 Edenderry Down Scarva 33
17 Glaskerbeg East Down Annaclone 41
18 Glaskermore Down Annaclone 41
19 Glenloughan Down Scarva 26 & 33
20 Greenan Down Loughbrickland 33 & 34
21 Legananny Down Loughbrickland 33
22 Lisnabrague Down Scarva 33
23 Lisnagade Down Scarva 33
24 Lisnagonnell Down Loughbrickland 33 & 34 & 41
25 Lisnatierny Down Loughbrickland 40 & 41
26 Loughadian Down Scarva 33
27 Meenan Down Loughbrickland 33 & 34 & 40 & 41
28 Scarva Down Scarva 33
29 Shankill Down Loughbrickland 34 & 41

Aghaderg Church Records


Location Reference Nature
National Library of Ireland Pos. 5504 Microfilm
Baptisms Marriages Burials
Jan. 5th. 1816 to Aug. 20th. 1840

Sept. 11th.1840 to Aug. 25th.1876

Feb. 11th. 1816 to Sept. 5th. 1839

Oct. 4th. 1839 to Aug. 17th.1876

Sept. 22nd. 1838 to Nov. 1840

Jan. 30th. 1843 to Aug. 9th. 1876


Location Reference Nature
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland MIC.1D/29 Microfilm
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1816 - 1876 1816 - 1876 1816 - 1876


Location Reference Nature
 Ulster Historical Foundation MIC.1D/29 Database
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1840 - 1876 1839 - 1876 1843 - 1875


Location Reference Nature
None   Pro. Listing
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1814 to 1875 1814 to 1845 1814 to 1875


Location Reference  Other Records, Vestry minutes 1747-1841
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland T.679/94-100; C.R.1/47 Original
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1814-1870 1814-1849 1814-1980

Scarvagh, (Scarva)

Location Reference  Other Records, National Archives original listing. Burnt in 1922.

Burials chiefly at Aughlish.

Public Record Office of Northern Ireland   Original
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1850-1876   1851-1877

Scarvagh, (Scarva)

Location Reference  Other Records, vestry minutes 1850 -
Local custody   Original
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1877 - 1851 - 1850 -



Location Reference

Other records- Communicants Roll, 1890 to 1940

Public Records Office of Northern Ireland MIC.1/P/63 Microfilm
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1780 to  1884
1885 to 1931
1781 to 1798 (Indexed)
1822 to 1832 (Indexed)
1845 to 1903