Dromore

 County Down

They Came From Dromore

William Gibson

Mr Gibson was a native of County Down Northern Ireland, Born in 1840, and died age 74 on the 1st.of  November 1913 at the Princes Hotel,  Hove, Sussex. leaving an estate of the value of £305,601. The son of a small farmer in Drumbroneth  Dromore.   He was an apprentice to James Crozier, a watchmaker, of North Street, Belfast and subsequently opened his own business in the same street.  The business was wrecked in the 1864 riots and in 1865 he acquired new premises on the corner of Donegall Place and Castle Place, which became familiarly known as Gibson’s corner.  He bought out the businesses of Hugh McCormick and Joseph Lee, both successful jewellers, and established his own business as one of the foremost jewellers of its day.  This business was registered as Messrs. Gibson & Co., Ltd in 1891 and continued to be the leading firm in the trade, not only in Ireland but also in the UK.

.  Before his death, William Gibson was offered a Peerage. . As a small boy he was apprenticed to his uncle a  watch maker in Belfast. He was diligant and industrious and at the age of 27 he set up his own business, first in North Street and then in Castle Junction "Gibsons Corner". His range widened to include Silver and gold objects of very high quality, exhibited in the U.S.A. and Paris, where he won prizes. He had his own registered assay mark, he presented very elaborate silver cups to the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society and a magnificent gold mace to Queens University Belfast, this is still used at each graduation ceremony.

At the time of his death in 1913, he was so well known in London that a special train was run from London to bring the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and leading businessmen to his funeral.

William Gibson was one was one of those fortunate and shrewd men in whose hands every venture prospered and everything he had touched "turned to gold".

The business expanded very rapidly and was eventually formed into a limited company. In 1884  the business had grown so much, premises were aquired in Regent street London and there a branch was initated which ultimatley became the Goldsmith and Silversmith company (limited). Another business which William Gibson started in Regent Street was sold to Mappin & Webb Limited, William Gibson also purchased the farm in Drumbroneth, Dromore where he had been born, and built a large house there, Drumbroneth House, in which he resided  while on business trips to County Down. Drumbroneth House is now owned by Mr. Victor Shields, who with his family now reside there.

William Gibson left in his will approximately a quarter million sterling, to set up a trust for  providing sons of farmers in County Down and Antrim with educational advantages, the scheme will be known as The Gibson Trust Fund. He also left £500 to Dromore Non Subscribing Presbyterian Church

Gibson Scholarships (F247)

These scholarships, founded in 1913 under the will of William Gibson, Belfast and London, for the promotion and encouragement of education in agriculture and the cultivation and management of land for profit, are awarded to undergraduates and postgraduates of the University who were born in Northern Ireland. Preference will be given to students born in County Down or County Antrim and to undergraduate rather than postgraduate candidates.

1. A postgraduate scholarship was established in 1976 and will be available thereafter as funds permit. Applicants should be graduates of the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science of this University. The holder will undertake full-time research in Agriculture or Agricultural Science in the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science and may register for a higher degree of the University.

2. The scholarship will be tenable for up to three years and its value will be £2,335, subject to annual review, plus fees with an allowance of £200 per annum for approved expenses.

3. The scholarship will be awarded on the recommendation of a Board of Electors consisting of the Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science and three other persons nominated by Faculty from among the members of the Faculty.

4. Candidates must apply to the Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science normally not later than May 1 in the year in which the scholarship is offered.

Application forms may be obtained from the Dean's Office.

Belfast Corporation

In 1912 the Corporation decided to acquire a new Mace. Designed by John Vinycomb, and made by the Belfast goldsmiths William Gibson & Co., the new Mace was first used in 1913, the tercentenary of the granting of the Charter by James 1, and has been used ever since. It measures 49 inches in length, 6 inches in diameter at the head and 11.5 inches in the stem. The head is decorated with the Belfast Arms, the Royal Arms, the Arms of the Province of Ulster and the Harp of Ireland, all surmounted by an imperial crown and surrounded by Celtic-style ornamentation. Inside the crown, the flat circular top bears an inscription consisting of the legal title of the City and the date, with the names of the Lord Mayor, High Sheriff and Town Clerk in 1912, round a gold sovereign showing the head of George V The staves carried by the two Sergeants-at-Mace were presented by Councillor Frederick H Lewis in 1869.

The new mace 1913

Queens University Belfast

The precious 18 carat gold mace, given to Queen's in 1909 as a celebration of its new status as a University, is back in service at this week's ceremonial graduation processions, after recent restoration at Garrards. The top London jewellers were in the headlines last year when Jade Jagger, daughter of Rolling Stone Mick, became their creative director.

A mace was originally a weapon intended to prevail over an armoured adversary. As long-range weapons were developed, such as the musket and the longbow, the mace was relegated to a ceremonial role. It denotes authority and the bearer of the mace in academic processions 'guards' the Chancellor in the tradition in which medieval sergeants-at-arms marched as royal bodyguards.

The Esquire Bedell bears the mace in the Queen’s academic procession. He or she leads the Chancellor or Vice-Chancellor into the ceremony and puts the mace on a stand on the stage, which is the cue for members of the academic procession to remove their head dress. The Esquire Bedell also looks after the honorary graduate, leading him or her out at the end of the ceremony. The mace is always present during the conferment of degrees.

The head of the Queen's gold mace is set with four allegorical figures with the crest of Queen's University surrounded by semi precious stones. There is a Celtic cross finial and tapering stem with the words "The gift of William Gibson, a citizen of Belfast 1909."

Mr Gibson, the benefactor who presented the mace to Queen's, was born in Dromore, County Down in 1840. He began his career as an apprentice watchmaker in North Street, Belfast and eventually established his own firm Mssrs. Gibson & Co. Ltd in 1891, which became the leading jewellery firm in the UK. They produced only the highest class of goods and the warehouse in Donegall Place and Castle Place was the chief source of supply in Belfast for everything connected with the watch and jewellery trades.

In a fitting coincidence, the modern-day exclusive jewellers Garrards, who restored the mace in May to its original splendour, had amalgamated in 1952 with the company set up in London by William Gibson in 1880 - the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company of Regent Street, London. The mace will return to Garrards later in the year, along with the University's Hart silver collection, to be placed on show in an exhibition next summer in the Gilbert Collection, Somerset House

The precious 18 carat gold mace, given to Queen's in 1909 as a celebration of its new status as a University, is back in service at this week's ceremonial graduation processions, after recent restoration at Garrards. The top London jewellers were in the headlines last year when Jade Jagger, daughter of Rolling Stone Mick, became their creative director.

A mace was originally a weapon intended to prevail over an armoured adversary. As long-range weapons were developed, such as the musket and the longbow, the mace was relegated to a ceremonial role. It denotes authority and the bearer of the mace in academic processions 'guards' the Chancellor in the tradition in which medieval sergeants-at-arms marched as royal bodyguards.

The Esquire Bedell bears the mace in the Queen’s academic procession. He or she leads the Chancellor or Vice-Chancellor into the ceremony and puts the mace on a stand on the stage, which is the cue for members of the academic procession to remove their head dress. The Esquire Bedell also looks after the honorary graduate, leading him or her out at the end of the ceremony. The mace is always present during the conferment of degrees.

The head of the Queen's gold mace is set with four allegorical figures with the crest of Queen's University surrounded by semi precious stones. There is a Celtic cross finial and tapering stem with the words "The gift of William Gibson, a citizen of Belfast 1909."

Mr Gibson, the benefactor who presented the mace to Queen's, was born in Dromore, County Down in 1840. He began his career as an apprentice watchmaker in North Street, Belfast and eventually established his own firm Mssrs. Gibson & Co. Ltd in 1891, which became the leading jewellery firm in the UK. They produced only the highest class of goods and the warehouse in Donegall Place and Castle Place was the chief source of supply in Belfast for everything connected with the watch and jewellery trades.

In a fitting coincidence, the modern-day exclusive jewellers Garrards, who restored the mace in May to its original splendour, had amalgamated in 1952 with the company set up in London by William Gibson in 1880 - the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company of Regent Street, London. The mace will return to Garrards later in the year, along with the University's Hart silver collection, to be placed on show in an exhibition next summer in the Gilbert Collection, Somerset House

The gold mace gifted by William Gibson to Queen’s University in 1909 that has been restored at Garrards jewellers. Mrs Jill Lyttle, Undergraduate Associate Dean of the Faculty of Legal, Social and Educational Sciences, one of the Queen’s University’s Esquires Bedell, who carried the mace in Monday’s ceremonial graduation processions., with Chancellor Senator George Mitchell.

Dromore connection with the Crown jewels

 Garrard & Coy Ltd.

A leading London firm of jewellers, Goldsmiths & Silversmiths, founded by GeorgeWickes later becoming Wakelin & Taylor, and then Robert Garrard, 1758-1818. In 1843 they were appointed as Crown jewellers, in which capacity it has since been responsible for the maintenance of the regalia and the crown jewels and their preparation until 1946 and in 1952 was amalgamated with the Gold & Silversmiths Co. founded in 1880 by William Gibson and John Langman and resides at 112 Regents St. London. Still maintaining the name Garrard and still the Crown jewellers

From "Industries of Britain"

William Gibson & Co., Manufacturing Jewellers and Silversmiths,

Watchmakers and Opticians

Donegall Place and Castle Place, Belfast.—This eminent house was founded by Mr. William Gibson in the year 1865, and has since amalgamated its business with that of the Manufacturing Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Company of Regent Street London
 Doubtless the largest manufacturers of fine jewellery, silver, and electro-plate, &c, in England. This has given the house a distinct advantage over the majority of its competitors, and enables it to offer to the public valuable opportunities of obtaining the newest designs and highest finish and quality of goods at manufacturers' prices. The purchaser is thus enabled to save something like twenty-five per cent, on ordinary retail prices, and to secure goods of a very superior class at about the same figures as those hitherto quoted to the trade. Messrs. Gibson's business has been very successful from the first, and its prosperity is continuous under the able and energetic management it enjoys. It is carried on at the above address in splendid premises, constituting one of the finest establishments in the goldsmiths', silversmiths' and watchmaking- trades, and the stocks here displayed are of surpassing beauty and interest, and of immense-value; -This fine-building is The firm's own property, the ground and first floors being used as showrooms, "while the top flat is occupied by the numerous staff of skilled workmen here employed. Messrs. Gibson have their general factories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell, London, and at Rue Martel, Paris ; and they have recently purchased the manufacturing business and retail shops of Messrs. Mappin Brothers, of Sheffield and London. They produce only the highest class of goods, the quality and finish of all their manufactures being unexceptionable, and these are all sold at the smallest possible margin of profit. An exceedingly large and far-reaching business is controlled, and the house enjoys the support and patronage of a most valuable and. influential connection. The warehouse in Donegall Place and Castle Place is regarded as a chief source of supply in Belfast for everything connected with the watch and jewellery trades, and the spacious show-rooms here are replete with beautiful productions in gold and silver ware, watches, clocks, gem jewellery, and works of art, the mere enumeration of which would require a small volume. Messrs. Gibson & Co. are manufacturers of gold and silver medals for the Commissioners of Intermediate Education, Ireland ; and they hold a great number of prize medals awarded to them at the leading exhibitions " for originality in high-class jewellery and fine watches." The business is conducted with conspicuous ability and enterprise in all departments, and the firm have lately issued a most interesting booklet entitled " Precious Stones and Bric-a-Brac." This beautifully printed and tastefully illustrated little work has achieved great success and favour, and is a wonderfully useful and instructive guide to connoisseurs and others, giving much valuable information on the subject of which it treats, and showing the various marks found on articles of jewellery and bric-a-brac to determine the place of their origin and manufacture.

 Gibson had factories in Clerkenwell London, and Rue Martel in Paris, and in 1891 purchased the business and retail shops of Mappin Bros of Sheffield and London.  The Company exhibited in Philadelphia, Paris and Chicago and Gibson was awarded the cross of the Legion d’Honneur.

 Messrs. Gibson & Co., Ltd. was the largest manufacturer of fine jewellery, silver and electro-plate in England.  They produced only the highest class of goods and enjoyed the patronage of influential people.  The warehouse, in Donegall Place and Castle Place, was the chief source of supply in Belfast for everything connected with the watch and jewellery trades.  Their showrooms displayed gold and silverware, watches, clocks, gem jewellery and works of art.

 Messrs. Gibson & Co. was also manufacturers of gold and silver medals for the Commissioners of Intermediate Education, Ireland.

The Company received many prize medals for ‘originality in high-class jewellery and fine watches’.

 In 1880 Gibson went into partnership with John Langman and  founded the Goldsmiths’ and Silversmiths’ Company, of Regent Street, London.  In 1898 it became the Goldsmiths’ and Silversmiths’ Co. Ltd.  Their hallmark was originally W.G.& J. L. then became G. & S. Co. Ltd.

 The Company was a major concern producing diamonds, jewellery, bridal gifts, watches, clocks and silver and electro plate.  It had substantial premises covering a quarter of an acre, on the corner of Regent Street and Glasshouse Street, which included a tea room for the benefit of its clients.  In 1928 premises were totally rebuilt and went on to become the designated house of Garrard and Co Ltd, the Crown jewellers, with whom the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Co. Ltd amalgamated in 1952.

 Gibson died at the age of seventy four on the 1st November 1913 at the Princes Hotel, Hove, Sussex , leaving an estate in the UK of a value of £305,601.  After several bequests including £10,000 to Queen’s University, for establishment of special agricultural scholarships, Gibson directed that the residue of his property (about £150,000) should be used ‘for the purpose of assisting poor and deserving farmers and holding farms in County Down and County Antrim, Ireland’. 

 Gibson spent a lot of his time at the Villa Lisnacrieve in Cannes and he also had a house overlooking Hyde Park, London.  He was a Unitarian and a Unionist, although he did not take an active part in Politics.  He was a member of the Ulster Reform Club. 

ULSTER HISTORY CIRCLE

 

 

19 May 2006 - Blue Plaque Unveiling - William Gibson

It was a fine May afternoon for the unveiling of a blue plaque to one of County Down's illustrious sons at his former home, now owned by Victor and Norma Shields who graciously hosted the event. The Ulster History Circle was represented by Jimmy Hawthorne, Sean Nolan, Victor Price, Jim Crawford and Pat Devlin. Councillor Jim McIlroy, Chairman of Banbridge District Council attended in his official capacity and when the time came performed the cermony. Also present were representatives of the Dromore Historical Society; John Davis, Queen's University; Walter Smyth, The Gibson Trust; Brian King of RUAS and his wife, Rev. Sam Peden and Raymond Kelly whose County Down website profiled many local worthies including William Gibson and who had come over from Scotland to see him honoured. The Plaque was sponsored by Banbridge District Council.

The official proceeding were opened by Tom Shields. Jimmy Hawthorne gave a brief account of the Ulster History Circle's work and mentioned that there were two other plaques in the area, to Helen Waddell and John B. Yeats. He thanked the Banbridge Council for their sponsorship and Victor and Norma Shields for their hospitality. Sean Nolan spoke briefy about William Gibson and his achievements and Jim McIlroy unveiled the plaque.

After the splendid repast provided by Victor and Norma the company dispersed well satisfied with a impressive event, well attended, humourous and convivial.

The photos give a flavour of the event.

Councillor Jim McIlroy, Chairman of Banbridge District Council

 

Pat Devlin.

John Davis QUB, James Hawthorne and James Nolan from the Ulster History Circle,  Victor Shields, Jim McElroy chairman of Banbridge District Council, Walter Smith from the Gibson Trust, Raymond Kelly and historian Tom Shields.

 

 

Drumbroneth House, Dromore, Built by William Gibson 1901, now owned and resided in by  Mr. Victor Shields and family

 

Victor & Norma's grandchildren

Gibson births & Marriages for Dromore

CHILD BIRTH FATHER MOTHER
Eleanor Jane GIBSON 7 Mar 1865 William GIBSON Eliza GAMBLE
Mary Jane GIBSON 31 May 1865 James GIBSON Dianna LOWERY
Emily GIBSON 29 Jul 1868 William John GIBSON Mary CUNNINGHAM
Rachel GIBSON 24 May 1868 George GIBSON Sarah CUNNINGHAM
Mary GIBSON 11 Apr 1869 Joseph GIBSON Rachel MARTIN
Annie GIBSON 1 Oct 1870 John GIBSON Eliza Anne MILLIGAN
Henry GIBSON 6 Jun 1870 Henry GIBSON Jane BRADSHAW
Jane GIBSON 16 Mar 1872 Henry GIBSON Jane BRADSHAW
David Thomas GIBSON 4 Jun 1873 William GIBSON Eliza GAMBLE
Henry GIBSON 26 Mar 1873 Joseph GIBSON Anne DICKSON
David James GIBSON 12 Apr 1874 Allan GIBSON Sarah McILRATH
Joseph GIBSON 3 Jun 1874 John GIBSON Sarah WRIGHT
       
GROOM DATE BRIDE WHERE MARRIED
Hugh DOAK 02 Dec 1845 Jane GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Robert GIBSON 18 Dec 1845 Sarah McCOMB Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
George GIBSON 04 Sep 1846 Sarah CUNNINGHAM Dromore Church of Ireland
John GIBSON 23 May 1851 Agnes BLACK Dromore First Presbyterian
David GIBSON 20 May 1852 Elizabeth SCOTT Dromore First Presbyterian
John ROWAN 21 Dec 1852 Martha GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Samuel GIBSON 23 Dec 1852 Margaret PATTERSON Dromore Church of Ireland
James GIBSON 24 Dec 1852 Diana LOWRY Dromore Church of Ireland
William john GIBSON 23 Dec 1853 Mary CUNNINGHAM Dromore First Presbyterian
Joseph GIBSON 04 Aug 1853 Rachel MARTIN Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Robert SCOTT 20 Jul 1853 Elizabeth GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
John KINNEAR 29 Oct 1853 Sarah Anne GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
William James GIBSON 27 Nov 1854 Margaret SLOANE Dromore First Presbyterian
David GIBSON 05 Dec 1854 Rachael GILL Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
James CROZIER 19 Jan 1854 Anna GIBSON Banbridge Civil Registrars
William James GIBSON 27 Nov 1854 Margaret SLOANE Dromore First Presbyterian
Joseph GIBSON 25 Jun 1855 Anne DICKSON Dromore Church of Ireland
John GIBSON 04 Jan 1855 Sarah MARTIN Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
William GIBSON 08 Jan 1857 Eliza GRAHAM Dromore Church of Ireland
Thomas MILLS 21 Aug 1857 Mary Jane GIBSON Dromore First Presbyterian
Alexander GIBSON 28 Aug 1858 Sarah BECK Dromore Second Presbyterian
James SCOTT 19 Feb 1858 Jane GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
James COWDEN 17 Sep 1858 Margaret GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Thomas GIBSON 02 May 1860 Nancy MAXWELL Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
John GIBSON 15 Oct 1864 Nancy MITCHELL Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Hugh LYNASS 28 Oct 1864 Anne Jane GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
William GIBSON 14 Feb 1865 Eliza GAMBLE Dromore First Presbyterian
Hugh GIBSON 16 Oct 1865 Charlotte McCRACKEN Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Robert YOUNG 04 Sep 1866 Flora GIBSON Dromore First Presbyterian
John GIBSON 13 Nov 1866 Sarah McKEE Dromore Second Presbyterian
Thomson LAVERY 03 Nov 1866 Sarah TITTERINGTON Dromore Church of Ireland
Joseph GIBSON 01 Apr 1867 Catherine CONLON Dromore Church of Ireland
Abraham VAUGHAN 04 Sep 1869 Ann Jane GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Richard BEATTIE 09 Aug 1871 Jane GIBSON Dromore Second Presbyterian
George GIBSON 09 Oct 1874 Elizabeth MARTIN Dromore Church of Ireland
John GIBSON 10 Jul 1874 Elizabeth POOTS Dromore Church of Ireland
Joseph GRACEY 24 Dec 1878 Isabella GIBSON Dromore First Presbyterian
Robert GIBSON 19 Dec 1878 Mary Anne SMITH Dromore Church of Ireland
James GIBSON 09 May 1879 Isabella ROBINSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Samuel HANNA 17 Jul 1879 Mary C. GIBSON Dromore Second Presbyterian
William McKEE 03 Sep 1881 Margaret GIBSON Dromore Second Presbyterian
John GIBSON 13 Jan 1881 Ellen BARCLAY Dromore Church of Ireland
William BROWN 28 Feb 1882 Margaret GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Joseph GORDON 17 Nov 1882 Jane GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
George KIRKWOOD 03 Feb 1883 Elizabeth GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
William John BOAL 14 Sep 1883 Margt Ann GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
James GIBSON 14 Apr 1887 Margt Isabella WILSON Dromore First Presbyterian
John GIBSON 06 Jun 1887 Elizabeth Sophia GRAHAM Dromore Church of Ireland
Joseph GIBSON 08 Jun 1888 Maggie CROZIER Dromore First Presbyterian
Thomas GIBSON 23 Jul 1888 Eliza JOHNSTON Dromore First Presbyterian
John LINDSAY 28 Mar 1888 Mary Jane GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Alexander McNALLY 02 Mar 1889 Elizabeth GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Samuel John SMYTH 02 Sep 1889 Sarah Ann GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
James GIBSON 02 Oct 1891 Mary Jane GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Edward MAGEE 24 Jul 1891 Matilda GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Thomas GAMBLE 26 Dec 1892 Jane GIBSON Dromore First Presbyterian
Samuel GIBSON 26 Dec 1892 Mary FERRIS Dromore First Presbyterian
John JOHNSTON 03 Aug 1894 Jane GIBSON Dromore First Presbyterian
John CROZIER 28 May 1894 Margaret GIBSON Dromore Church of Ireland
Joseph GIBSON 17 Jan 1895 Ellen Ann CARGIN Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Richard GIBSON 10 Jul 1897 Mary Ann PERRY Dromore First Presbyterian
John GIBSON 11 Jan 1898 Jane WOODS Dromore Church of Ireland
Samuel Robert MONTGOMERY 08 Oct 1898 Sarah GIBSON Dromore Unitarian Presbyterian
Robert John GIBSON 25 Jan 1901 Ellen Ann THOMPSON Dromore Church of Ireland
William SMYTH 22 Mar 1901 Margaret GIBSON Dromore Second Presbyterian
Samuel GIBSON 05 Oct 1906 Emily MURPHY Dromore Church of Ireland
Walter WATSON 04 Apr 1906 Jane McCreedy GIBSON Banbridge Civil Registrars
Walter WATSON 04 Apr 1906 Jane McCreedy GIBSON xxxx Banbridge Civil Registrars
John JOHNSTON 03 Jan 1912 Elizabeth GIBSON Dromore First Presbyterian
David GIBSON 18 Jun 1920 Eliza Jane Doak JAMISON Dromore First Presbyterian

Harry Ferguson

My whole economic philosophy and all my efforts are guided by the knowledge that the best way to improve the total economy will be through cutting the costs of production of agricultural products, which control the cost of living. There must be implements of an altogether new type which will produce, for the first time in history, enough food to feed all the people of the world. And, also, produce from the land - the source from which all wealth comes a new wealth to enrich the world.

Our Plan for prosperity, security, and peace can be stated in two simple propositions:

1. Make the good earth produce more than enough to keep its whole population in comfort and contentment.
2. And, what is equally vital, produce 'more than enough' at prices which the people of the world can afford to pay.

That is our ambition. That is the course to which I am wholly dedicated.
Harry Ferguson
Detroit, Michigan
December 1, 1947

The son of a farmer, Harry Ferguson was born on 4th November 1884, at  Growell, County Down, and christened Henry George, although he was always known as Harry. The family farm covered 100 acres, a large holding in Ireland at that time. Harry disliked farm work and quickly became interested in mechanical things, joining his brother Joe in his cycle and car repair business in 1902. There Harry took an interest in flying. He had been fascinated by flying since following the exploits of the Wright brothers in the United States and went to several air meetings and exhibitions, particularly in France in 1907 and 1908, and then went back to Ireland and designed and built his own monoplane. After many adventures trying to fly this plane (he had to learn the hard way - there were no instructors), he finally succeeded and flew for the first time on 31st December 1909, the first flight in Ireland. This was the same year that Bleriot  made the first flight over the English Channel. From accounts that I have read, Harry spent more time crashing than he did flying. On one particular occasion during an early flight ,a gust of wind caused the aircraft to vere and summersault, the result being that Harry and the engine both fell out. It is believed that Harry's plane was the first to feature tricycle undercarriage, he also took up the first passenger in Ireland, a very brave, or foolish, lady by the name of Rita Mart, who had travelled from Liverpool to make the flight on 23rd August 1910.

His brother Joe did not like the flying, and, as he could not see any benefit to the company and was concerned for Harry's health, this led to many arguments. The two eventually decided to go their separate ways, Harry setting up in business as May Street Motors in 1911. The company name was changed to Harry Ferguson Ltd about a year later. There Harry sold Maxwell, Star and Vauxhall cars. Harry competed in a Vauxhall car in local hillclimbs and speed events in which he proved to be quite successful. In addition to the cars, Harry Ferguson Ltd also held the franchise for Overtime tractors. With this involvement, Harry was well qualified to take on the task of educating the farmers of Ireland in the new ways with tractors. He was engaged by the government to demonstrate tractors during the first world war. The problem with these early tractors was that they were very heavy, had iron wheels and a large flywheel. The weight caused compaction of the soil, and the steel wheels, while not allowing any slippage, caused other problems. When a tree root or under soil object was encountered by the plough or cultivator, the wheels would not spin, and this either caused damage to the implement or the tractor. With the energy stored in its large flywheel, it rotated around the rear wheel with dire consequences for the driver. There were on the market several devices to stop the tractor tipping over backwards, but Harry's fertile mind had the idea to somehow make the tractor and plough one unit and use the suck of the soil as weight for grip, thus allowing the size of tractor used to be smaller, causing less compaction.

The first attempt at joining the tractor and plough in one unit resulted, in 1917, in a plough designed to go behind the Model T Ford car, which, for around £90, could be converted into a tractor. This conversion was called the Eros. The plough cost £28. This proved quite successful and sold in significant numbers.

After the Eros, the most widely used tractor was the Model F Fordson, at the time one of the smallest tractors available. The first attempts involved modifications to the 1917 plough with a mechanical linkage controlled through a slipper mechanism which followed the furrow bottom. Ferguson went to America in 1920 to meet Henry Ford and asked Ford to make the plough alongside the Model F tractor. Ford was impressed with the outfit and offered Harry a job which he declined. Harry went on another trip in 1925 where he met the Sherman brothers who agreed to build the plough for sale. Business was good until Ford decided during the Great Depression to stop tractor production. By this time Harry had returned to Ireland to continue his experiments and his ambition of making the plough depth wheel redundant.

During the late twenties, Harry and his fellow engineers began experimenting with hydraulics and eventually fitted a Model F with hydraulic linkage with promising results; this system actually had lower link sensing. The tractor came to Norfolk in 1931 and was demonstrated to several influential people including William Morris , in the hope that someone would build the tractor, as Harry and his small team were engineers and not production men, Eventually frustration got the better of Harry Ferguson, and, rather than try to persuade someone to build a tractor using his patent linkage system, he built his first tractor. This tractor was designed and built in Belfast, in 1933, using an l8hp Hercules engine. Called the 'Black Tractor', due to its colour, it is normally on display in the Science Museum in London. The gears for the 'black tractor' were made by the David Brown Company of Huddersfield, who, after some persuasion, became interested in building the tractor as a production machine. An agreement was made, with David Brown to build the tractor and Harry Ferguson Ltd to sell it. Designated the Model A, it cost £224, at a time when a Fordson cost £140.

During the years 1936-38, 1350 Model A's were made, although their sales were not easy as the tractor needed to be bought with its range of implements, each costing £28, in order to get the best out of it. Consequently it proved rather expensive although Harry Ferguson tried to get Browns to build it cheaper. Not being happy with the set up between himself and David Brown, Harry took an example of the Model A and demonstrated it to Henry Ford on his ranch at Fairlane, Nr Dearborn, Michigan, U.S.A., in October 1938. Henry Ford was suitably impressed, and, at a table in the demonstration field, he and Ferguson made their famous Handshake Agreement'; Ford was to use his production capacity to produce the tractor and Harry Ferguson Ltd would act as the salesmen. In addition Harry Ferguson was to have the final say in any engineering changes.

The first prototype was completed in March, just three months after work had begun, and, on 1st April 1939, it was demonstrated to a few friends in Mrs Ford's nursery garden at Fairlane. The first production tractors were ready by June, and, on the 12th June, everything was ready for a demonstration to distributors who had been appointed. The public launch came on 29th June with over 500 people being invited. The agreement worked well throughout the war period although Harry was frustrated that the Ford tractor plant at Dagenham, England, would never agree to build his little tractor. Between 1939 and 1947 some 306,000 examples of the Ford/Fergie or 9N, were made.

Although never built in the UK, a version was imported during the war. This tractor, the 2NAN, was built without electric start and ran on steel wheels. Ford engineers wanted more involvement in the design of the tractor and suggested that the gearbox be increased from three speeds to four speeds and position control be incorporated in the hydraulics. Ferguson would not agree to either of these changes, although his engineers were thinking along similar lines. In 1947, Ford prepared to release a new tractor, called the 8N, incorporating the above changes and unmodified Ferguson System Hydraulics. This tractor angered Harry Ferguson as his patents were being used without his consent, and he sued Ford successfully for $9.25 million. Production of this tractor was stopped in December 1952.

While the court case was going on with Ford, Ferguson had arranged with Sir John Black, of the Standard Motor Co, to produce a tractor to his design. As the Standard Co owned a factory at Banner Lane Coventry, which had been a shadow factory during the war, it was turned to tractor production in 1946, and the TE (Tractor England) was born. These were initially powered by a Continental petrol engine, until the engine that was being designed and made for the Standard Vanguard was in frill production. Diesel engined versions were available from January 1951. Production of the TE continued in all its 16 guises until 1956, and, when production stopped, 517,651 tractors had been produced. With the Ford deal at an end, Harry Ferguson set up a separate company in America to produce the equivalent of the TE, the TO. The TO (Tractor Overseas) was produced by Harry Ferguson Inc. at Detroit between 1948 and 1954, a total of 140,000 being made.

During the early fifties, negotiations started between Harry Ferguson Ltd and Massey Harris for the amalgamation of the two companies and product lines. These negotiations were long and drawn out as Harry Ferguson insisted that he have control over design changes. Eventually an agreement was made, and the first tractor of the amalgamation, the FE35, rolled out of Banner Lane in October 1956. Known as the Grey/Gold 35, this tractor was produced by Massey-Harris-Ferguson. During the following months, further negotiation took place with the result that by the end of 1957 Harry Ferguson had sold all his shares in the Massey-Harris-Ferguson Co. During the negotiations, Harry insisted that his share of the company was worth $17 million, however, the Massey Harris directors would only go to $16 million After some time in a stalemate situation, Harry eventually suggested that they toss for the extra million. Eventually the directors of M-H agreed and a half crown was duly tossed, Harry called tails; he lost. He then suggested that they toss again for the coin, and this time Harry won. The directors had the coin mounted on a cigar box with the inscription, 'To our friend and partner Harry Ferguson. A gallant sportsman'. Harry received $16 million (then £5.7 million) for his shares in M-H-F.

The 'FE achieved many milestones during its production span, with over 517,000 being built at Coventry alone. The tractor was exported throughout the world and made significant advances to the world's food production. Harry Ferguson always maintained that it took five acres to feed a pair of draft animals, but, with his tractor, this land could be put to use producing food for the growing population of the world. One of the more unusual feats that the TE achieved was in 1958 when Sir Edmund Hilary travelled to the South Pole using three of the little tractors. The tractors proved reliable over the 1200 mile journey and, despite high fuel  consumption in the extreme conditions, proved more able than an ex-army Weasel, which had to be left behind. Hilary gave the tractors to the Americans who were manning the Antarctic station in exchange for a flight out, and they remained there for some years being used for further survey work. Of the three tractors that travelled to the Pole, one is still there, one is in New Zealand and the other returned to the UK in 1965 to take up residence in the Massey Ferguson Heritage Centre at Coventry.

For many years Harry Ferguson had been considering at the back of his mind the problems of the motor car and now turned his energies to this. He had been interested for some time in the work of two engineers; Tony Rolt and Freddie Dixon. For many years they had been working with four wheel drive systems and had been demonstrating to the Army a vehicle built for military purposes, known as the 'Crab'. It had four wheel drive and steering by swinging both axles which caused some novel handling. Ferguson, upon his return from America, went to see the two at work, and, in 1950, Harry Ferguson Research was formed. Claude Hill joined the team from Aston Martin soon after, and work began on building a complete car.

The car had revolutionary features; four wheel drive, anti lock brakes and torque converter transmission. Even the engine was of Ferguson design, being a flat four which gave a low centre of gravity. Ferguson Research had bought, from Count Teramela, the rights to the Torque Converter for about £500,000. The intention was to sell the ideas to a large motor manufacturer to produce the production version, as had been the intention with the tractor. A total of three prototype road cars were built, two estate cars and a saloon. The last estate car R5/2, built in 1959, also incorporated a supercharged version of the Ferguson flat four engine. This gave the engine an output of 150bhp from the 2.2 litres. In testing, this vehicle was regularly lapping the Motor Industry Research Authority test ground at 100 mph. Unfortunately the engine is no longer in the car, although both can be seen in the Museum of British Road Transport in Coventry.

After the road cars, Ferguson Research turned to racing to prove the worth of the Ferguson Formula System. A racing car was built, designated P99, that conformed to the, then current, Formula 1 regulations. However, all the forward thinking in the transmission, was to no avail, as the car was front engined at a time when John Cooper and most other designers were successful with rear engined cars. The car was entered for several races by Rob Walker, including the Oulton Park Gold Cup in 1961, where it was driven by Stirling Moss. To the delight of the Ferguson engineers the race was wet, and the combination of four wheel drive, anti lock brakes and Stirling's driving proved too much for the opposition, and he won the race. P99 did, however, prove to be unbeatable in the Hillclimb Championship in 1964, where it took Peter Westbury to the Championship. The car now resides in the Donington Collection.

Several others experimented with four wheel drive in racing cars, and the Ferguson Formula was used at Indianapolis in 1969 and in a Lotus 56b turbine Fl car during 1971. Harry Ferguson did not see the racing car win its race, as he died in 1960. He suffered great bouts of depression and insomnia in the latter years of his life but still had flashes of his old brilliance and stamina. On one occasion when on holiday in Jamaica, he awoke to find a burglar in his room. In the ensuing struggle the robber's gun went off, and Harry sustained a bullet through his leg. Later, when the robber was brought to court, in his defence he said that he had been savagely attacked by Harry Ferguson. Harry Ferguson's original ideas are still employed. No matter what colour of agricultural tractor, they all have the converging three point linkage and weight transfer system that Harry pioneered. Many modem road vehicles have four wheel drive technology, and those produced by Vauxhall/Opel, Ford, Mitsubishi, Honda, Land Rover, Lancia, Alfa Romeo and others employ the Ferguson patented Viscous Coupling control system, developed by GKN and FF (Ferguson Formula) Developments, a company owned by Ferguson's old partner Tony Rolt and his son Stuart.

For those of us in agriculture Harry Ferguson revolutionised the farm tractor and saved us all a great deal of hard work. For the general public, his ideas, firstly for aviation and now employed by the motor industry, have made a great contribution to human development. Harry Ferguson, although a very slight figure of a man, proved a giant in the engineering field.

Prices:

Ferguson Tractors. Ex Works - March, 1954

 
Diesel Tractor (TEF)
Petrol Tractor (TEA)
V.0. Tractor (TED)
Narrow Track Petrol Tractor (TEC)
Narrow Track V.0. Tractor (TEE)
Vineyard V.0. Tractor (TEL)
£525.00.00
£395.00.00
£405.00.00
£435.00.00
£445.00.00
£465.00.00
 
Ferguson Accessories
 
Hinged Seat and Footrest Assembly
Hitch Conversion Unit
Lighting Set
Lighting Set (Side)
£3.10.00
£10.15.00
£11.15.00
£6.10.00
 
Fitting charges
 
In Workshops
On Farm
£2.00.00
£3.10.00
 

PITTSBURG  AND  HER  PEOPLE 

GEORGE B. KELLY, of Braddock, near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, a dealer in real estate, was born January 31, 1856, son of William Guy and Mary (McCracken) Kelly, he being one of twelve children, five of whom survive. The parents were both natives of Dromore, county Down, Ireland, and were there married. In 1845 they  emigrated to this country with their three chil­dren, and remained at Albany, New York, two years, and then  came to Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, via the canal. They located at Wilkins-burg, where they followed farm life. He 'died in 1876, aged sixty-nine years. In politics Mr. Kelly was a Republican. In religious faith the family was, while living in their native country, members of the old Covenanters, but upon coming to this country  became connected with the United Presbyterian church. Mrs. Kelly died in 1894, aged eighty-six years. Their surviving children are: Robert, a contractor, of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania; Samuel, of the Kelly-Wood Real Estate Company, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; Anna, wife of William Beam, of Rummerdale, Pennsylvania; Sarah, wife of William McHenry, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; George B., of this sketch.

George B. Kelly was only permitted to acquire but a limited education in the country schools, and at the age of twenty-two years left the farm and came to the city of Pittsburg and engaged in the live-stock business at the city stock-yards. He was thus connected for several years, and in 1890 engaged in the real estate business at East Liberty, and still follows the same in a most honorable and satisfactory manner.

Dromore and District Local Historical Group Journal

SAM FERRIS "MARATHON MAN"
BY TREVOR MARTIN

Most of us this summer enjoyed the spectacle of the greatest of the worlds athletes gathered in Barcelona to compete for Olympic gold. The marathon, held over 26 miles represents for many the pinnacle of endurance, tactics and true grit. The games of 1924 were held in Paris and anyone who watched the film "Chariots of Fire" would have been given a good impression of the period, styles and equipment of the runners.

There were many famous names at these games Paarvo Nurmi winner of nine gold medals, Eric Liddell who refused to race in the 200 metre final because it was held on a Sunday, Johnny Weissmuller winner of five swimming golds and later to become the screen Tarzan. Amongst all these world famous characters was a man from the town of Dromore, Sam Ferris, one of the greatest distance runners that Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom was ever to produce, made his Olympic debut.

Sam Ferris was born in the townland of Magherabeg near Dromore in August 1900 which coincidently was the year of the second Olympic Games, also held in Paris. Sam's mother Minnie Clarke was said to be a bit of an athlete and it was not unknown to see her running through the fields hurdling the stooks of corn. Sam lived for the early period of his life at Magherabeg, however he moved to Glasgow with his father when his mother tragically died. They only stayed in Glasgow for a few years, returning to Dromore to the rest of the family. Sam was like his mother, always interested in running and at the early age of seventeen he joined Shelteston Harriers, winning many prizes in the Junior Open Category.

Sam was also used by the local pigeon men to run in the rings of the first birds home as there was only one pigeon clock in the Town, thus giving them an extra time advantage over their colleagues.

When Sam was eighteen the First World War had been raging for four years, so like most young men of his age he decided to join up. He joined the fledgling Royal Air Force, then known as the Royal Flying Corps and on enlistment he was posted to India. During that posting, however, he did little or no running, preferring to devote his energy to other sports such as football. After his service was up he returned to Dromore, once again taking up his first love of running. He didn't have to wait long for success winning many local races including the Co. Down One Mile Championship.

In December 1923 he rejoined the Royal Air Force and was stationed in Uxbridge where he competed in a cross country race. Although he only came third his talents came to the notice of Bill Thomas of Herne Hill Harriers who persuaded him that his true forte might be long distance rather than cross country running. Bill Thomas's entreaty had an effect on Sam and he joined Herne Hill Harriers with whom he stayed throughout his career. Many young men who had fought in the war were taking to serious athletics, Bobby Mills who had been awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross in the Royal Flying Corps won the 1920 Polytechnic marathon, although prior to the race had never run further than 14 miles. Sam's first 20 mile race was not a success so it was important for him to build up the stamina necessary for long distances.

In the 1924 Olympic trials there were 80 starters one of whom was Sam Ferris competing in the first ever marathon race of his career. Despite conditions being poor and a lack of experienced runners in the field, by the 23 mile point 3 runners were well in the lead. Ahead of Sam in first and second place were Duncan Wright and Jack McKenna. McKenna was in all sorts of trouble and collapsed with exhaustion just past the 25 mile point. Ferris, although exceptionally strong, could not catch the Scotsman Wright who finished in 2.53.47, only 45 seconds in front. It would appear therefore that Bill Thomas was right and Sam's talents lay in the longer distances. It was as a result of this achievement that he was picked for the British Olympic team to compete in Paris in 1924.

The marathon team for the Olympics was Jack McKenna, Duncan Wright and Sam Ferris and of the three runners who finished in the best position. The heat combined with the route chosen for the course, much of it over cobbled roads, led many including Wright to drop out; the only time that Wright was ever to fail to complete a marathon. Sam's fifth place in 2.52.26, behind the eventual winner Alban Stenroos of Finland was the best achievement to date for a British runner in an Olympic marathon. The achievement is even better when we see that at the 23km mark Sam was 30th and even after 35km was only 9th. The omens looked good, what might he achieve in future years as it is generally thought in the world of running that marathon runners reach their peak much later than those at the shorter distances?

Sadly for Sam he was to be bitterly denied Olympic gold for although he competed in two further Olympics, (Amsterdam in 1928 and Los Angeles in 1932) the gold was tragically to elude him. It was the 1932 games in Los Angeles that was perhaps to prove to be his greatest disappointment for through a combination of fate and bad management he lost the gold medal. In later years he was to relate this story, one that best illustrated the lack of a co-ordinated and professional approach on behalf of the administrators of the British Olympic team in those early days. When Sam and Duncan Wright arrived they were given no briefing on the course, indeed Sam only saw the course once before the actual race. In contrast Juan Zabala of Argentina, the eventual winner had trained on the course and knew it intimately. On race day they were given their British running vests to find that they were much too long and they both felt that it would be a disaster to use them in the competition. Duncan Wright was adamant he would not use the vest and he eventually competed wearing his own Scotland vest. Sam tried to redesign his vest cutting some eighteen inches off it's length, but this was to prove catastrophic during the race. After a distance into the race the vest began to ride up Sam's back exposing the kidney area to the wind and causing it to chill. He stopped several times during the race to adjust the vest eventually, holding it down using the safety pins that held up his number. Despite this he ran well coming up through the field until he had Juan Zabala in his sights. Once again Sam's backup team were to let him down. He was told Zabala was going well and to ease off for the silver medal. The truth was that Zabala had been through a difficult period in the race and was on his last legs. A concerted attack by Sam at this point would possibly have
finished him off. Sam finished 2.31.55, only nineteen seconds behind Zabala and won the Olympic silver medal, with both runners breaking the world record.

Sam eventually got over his disappointment and raced on for many years, increasing his tally of awards and honours both national and international. He won the first ever AAA title to be contested, was victorious in eight consecutive Polytechnic marathons and was runner up in the first Empire Games in 1930.

He set a course record in Turin of 2.46.18 beating the Belgian, French and Italian champions. They even came to England to get their revenge but, he destroyed them winning in 2.40.32 a margin of five minutes. Course records were his speciality, in Liverpool he came home in 2.33.00 some fifteen minutes in front of the next man.

Sam, a strict non smoker held strong views on marathon running and indeed training in general. A newspaper article written in 1931 said of him "In order that the novice may evaluate Sam Ferris, he must do as Sam Ferris did, train wisely, train conscientiously and train consistently. Spasmodic bursts of energy serve no useful purpose."

His training for any marathon began some eight weeks before the race and was set to a strict regime, one that he kept to and which served him well.

As a Warrant Officer in the Royal Air Force Sam served in many stations throughout the world over the years, at Dieppe in 1940 he was the officer in charge of evacuating the men prior to the advancing German Army.

Henry Fairley a local man and relative of Sam remembers spending time with him, his wife and daughters in India in 1938. Sadly Sam died in the late seventies but his widow Marjorie is still alive and living peacefully in a cottage in Rosson-Wye, England. I'm sure that many who read this story will like me be proud that a man from Dromore has written his name into Olympic history.

I would like in my article to acknowledge the help of Seamus McKeown and Henry Fairley for the invaluable information that they supplied in compiling this incredible story of surely one of Dromore's greatest sons.
 

THOMAS STOTT-DROMORE'S FORGOTTEN POET
by ROY GAMBLE

They say a prophet has no honour in his own country. In Ulster the same could be said of poets, or rather, the memory of them, for despite a considerable legacy of soulful outpourings passed on by local rhymers, it seems we are poor custodians.

Dromore is no exception. How many citizens know that the town once could boast of a resident poet? It's a good few years ago of course (just over a couple of centuries in fact), nevertheless, some of his writings are still extant to-day.

Thomas Stott-the poet of Dromore, or as some called him, the poet laureate of Down was no Keats or Wordsworth, nor did he claim to be. He said of his poems: "They are the recreations of solitary hours snatched from the hurry of business, furnishing innocent amusement and a proof that literary recreation is not altogether incompatible with the pursuits of commerce."

And yet he was a reasonably prolific writer, contributing regularly to numerous journals and newspapers, including the Belfast Newsletter and the London Morning Post, where many of his poems appeared under the pen-name 'Hafiz' (Arabic for observer).

No ploughman poet, like Robert Burns and John Clare, Stott was born suckling the proverbial silver spoon, the son of a prosperous Hillsborough linen merchant. He followed his father's calling and his first poems were written when learning the linen trade in Waringstown.

He seems to have possessed a penchant for non-de-plumes. Not only did he extensively employ the exotic 'Hafiz' he also used the colourful pseudonym 'Banks of Banna' for some of his early poems, possibly in his Waringstown days.

Stott eventually settled in Dromore, then a thriving linen centre, and in 1777 he was married in the town's cathedral to Mary Ann Gardiner, a lady of good connections originally from Coleraine.
 

Stott and his new wife set up home in 'Dromore House' - which once upon a time served as the 'Clergy Widows Houses' - and rapidly built up a growing business with several bleach greens in the meadows beside the Lagan.

Many of his poems reflect his great love of Dromore and its citizens. Poems like: "The Mount of Dromore" in which he celebrates an annual Easter Monday custom of youthful high jinks on the ancient Norman earthworks. Then there is a satirical piece (shades of Orwell's 'Animal Farm') where some educated pigs plead their case for a share of the 'Liberty, Equality, Fraternity' that was sweeping Europe at the time. In the "Humble petition of Dromore pigs" he writes:

". . . We the swine of Dromore
At a numerous meeting,
To all lovers of pork
This petition send greeting . . .

" And the poem ends:
"Dear liberty then
To us captives restore,
And our thanks shall resound
Through the streets of Dromore."

Incidently, it flows quite nicely to the tune of Master McGra.
 

Throughout his life Stott retained a passion for nature and wildlife. A keen fisherman and gardener, the solitary hours spent on the river bank and among the shrubs and flowers and fruitful trees of his garden must have given him inspiration for such poems as: "the moralizing Trout", "To May," "Sketch of a fine day in October," "To a woodlark," and not to be outdone by his contemporary John Keats- "To Autumn," which he describes as - "Crowned with sickle and the yellow leaf."

Stott was no effete poet. He possessed a fine business acumen and thought nothing of setting out from Dromore on horseback to travel to the brown linen markets in towns scattered throughout the province.

He wrote of such travels in a poem entitled "The Brown Linen Buyers" in which he describes the homeward journey: "Well lined with beefsteak and Irish champagne."

Dromore once had the honour of receiving a letter from the great adventurer and romantic poet Lord Byron. Apparently some of Stott's verse had attracted a scathing attack from Byron during a certain literary controversy of the time. On learning, some time later, that Stott wrote merely for pleasure and not for profit, Byron wrote to apologise for his earlier inconsidered remarks.

In later years Stott struck up a close friendship with local patron of the arts, Bishop Percy of Dromore. The memorial which stands in the pinnacle meadow (which incidently was one of Stott's own bleach greens) was raised by the poet in memory of the Bishop after his death in 1811.

Stott died in Dromore house in 1829. He was buried in the cathedral churchyard, within sight of his home and not far from his beloved Lagan.

His grave, fourth in line to the right of the main gate, is marked with this badly faded inscription:

"In the humble hope of joyous resurrection.
Here rest deposited the earthly remains of Thomas Stott esq.
Born Hillsborough on 21st June, 1755
He departed this life at his residence in Dromore
The 22nd day of April, 1829.

In 1825, just four years before his death, Stott's one and only book of poems "The Songs of Deardra" was published.

This slim volume, a few poems in decaying copies of ancient Belfast Newsletters, a worn tombstone, and a painting hung in Castleward in which the poet and Bishop Percy are prominent, is all that remains of the poet of Dromore.

He never attained greatness and remained a minor poet only. The evidence is that he never strove for greatness. As he wrote in the title page of the "Songs of Deardra":

"And if the world should not prove kind,
As through its mazy paths ye stray,
Be not disheartened - fortune's blind,
And fame oft flatters to betray."

His poetry, even if it were readily available, would not be much read today. The late 18th century style is somewhat ponderous, the words pedantic. Nevertheless, he was a man of his time and as a poet he recorded what he observed and loved best - the simple everyday scenes around Dromore and among the meadows beside the Lagan.

In an age of instant electronic entertainment it is no longer fashionable to read poetry. This is a sad passing. A poet, especially a local one, is also an historian, and the writings of Thomas Stott provide us with a tangible link with the past.

Whether or not he saw himself as a keeper of history we'll never know. There is little doubt though that the urge to record the passing scene was strong. Perhaps, as a modern poet puts it, "Of the fear of death - the need to leave messages for those who come after saying, I was there, I

Joseph Mullin, 1811-1882

MULLIN, Joseph, a Representative from New York; born in Dromore, County Down, Ireland, August 6, 1811; immigrated to the United States in 1820 with his parents, who settled in Watertown, Jefferson County, N.Y.; attended the public schools; worked in a printing office; attended Union Academy, Belleville, N.Y., and was graduated from Union College, Schenectady, N.Y., in 1833; principal of Union Academy and subsequently taught in the Watertown Academy; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1837; appointed examiner of chancery, supreme court commissioner, and commissioner in bankruptcy in 1841; prosecuting attorney of Jefferson County 1843-1849; elected as a Whig to the Thirtieth Congress (March 4, 1847-March 3, 1849); president of the village of Watertown in 1853 and 1854; associate justice of the supreme court 1857-1881 and also served as presiding justice; died at Saratoga Springs, N.Y., May 17, 1882; interment in Brookside Cemetery, Watertown, N.Y.

McNAMARA John

 Clergyman, born in Dromore County Down, Ireland, 27 December, 1824; d. in North Platte, Nebraska, 24 October, 1885. He was educated at St. Paul's college, Flushing, L. I., and completed his theological course at the General theological seminary of New York. He was assistant to Ray. William A. Muhlenberg, D. D., in St. Luke's hospital, and was then a missionary of the Protestant Episcopal church in Kansas. He was clerical deputy to the general convention for many years from Nebraska, where he was pastor of the Church of Our Saviour in North Platte. In 1869 the degree of D. D. was conferred on him by Nebraska college, of which institution he was president for several years. He is the author of " Three Years on the Kansas Border" (New York, 1852), and "The Black Code of Kansas " (1857).

Dromore Ghost

Date 16/2/1851, Downpatrick paper

Superstitious Dread of Ghosts
It is a strange thing that at this time of day and in an enlightened part of Ulster, such a popular delusion should prevail as a belief in apparitions, yet such is the fact, and in the instance we are about to relate, has been attended with very sad consequences. In  a late number, an allusion was made to the melancholy circumstances under which Alexander McKevitt lost his life from being overturned in a bog hole, on the side of the road in Tubberdoney. The accident took place on the evening of the Fair at Dromore, and it so happened that a similar disaster happened  at the same spot a few years before, when a report, as is frequently the case on such occasions, became current, shortly afterwards among the country people, that the place was haunted, so that no timid person would venture to go past it after dark, a group of young men who stayed late, and who had to come along this bog road, were struck with low moans which they heard, and the clink of chains coming from a distance of thirty or forty perches from where they were passing, and where a branch line turns of in another direction. They instantly took fright, and instead of ascertaining the cause of the moans, came to the wise conclusion that it must be a ghost, so that they hurried on in a desperate state of alarm, and never stopped until they arrived at their respective homes, next morning the discovery of the unfortunate man explained the cause of their absurd and cowardly apprehensions,

Belfast/Ulster Street Directory, Dromore

 Directory 1841/1842  

 

Merchants, Manufacturers & Traders

Agnew, James, woollendraper, Bridge street
Agnew, Joseph, linen merchant, Red hill
Bodel, Michael, Esq., Postmaster
Bullick, John, woollendraper, Bridge street
Brush, Crane R., Esq., land agent, Church street
Cromey, William, woollendraper, Bridge street
Corry, Samuel, ironmonger and grocer, Bridge street
Davidson, John, surgeon, Bridge street
Dromore Arms Hotel, John Munro, proprietor
Fegan, John, proctor of the Manor Courts of Dromore,
Gilford, and Hillsborough, residence, Market square
Frackelton, John, wholesale and retail grocer, tea dealer, timber, iron, and flour merchant, Bridge street
Frazer, Robert, cabinet and chair manufacturer
Frazer, Hugh, do., Meeting house street
Frazer, Robert, grocer, &c., Market square
Hammond, Joseph, woollendraper, Market square
Harrison, John, woollendraper, Church street
Harrison, Hugh, grocer, timber, iron, and flour merchant, Church street
Harrison, Robert, currier, tanner, soap and candle manufacturer. Meeting house street
Heron, John, grocer and ironmonger, Church street
Jamison, George, grocer and haberdasher, Meeting house street
King's Arms Inn, John Martin, proprietor
Lindsay, David, manufacturer of linen drills and sheetings, Ashfield
Livingston, Samuel, currier, tanner, and spirit dealer, Bridge street
Martin, John, King's Arms Inn, Market square
Magill, John, Esq., solicitor, Church street, and Dublin, residence, Islanderry
M'Cartney, Edward, grocer and dealer in delf, glass, and earthenware, Church street
McCaw, \Villiam, wholesale and retail grocer, tea dealer, ironmonger, and flour merchant, Market square
M'Caw, T., manufacturer of linen cloth, Lissinashanker
M'Clelland, William, of Thomas M'Murray & Co., residence, Clanmurray
M'Dade, John, grocer, tea dealer, boot and shoe manufacturer and leather merchant, Church street
M'Dade, William, boot and shoe manufacturer, Market square
M'Murray, Thomas, and Co., linen, cambric, and cambric handkerchief manufacturers and bleachers, Quilly, Mr. M'Murray's residence, Lagan Lodge
Patterson, John, grocer, &c., Church street
Patterson. John, timber merchant, Church street
Prenter, James, grocer and spirit merchant, Bridge-st
Saul, William, haberdasher, Church/street
Stewart, Robert, seneschal and deputy registrar of the diocese of Dromore, master extraordinary in chancery, Ex. and Q.B., Church street.

1880 Belfast/Ulster Street Directory, Dromore

Dromore, a market town in the County Down, fourteen miles distant from Belfast, seated on the River Lagan, and on the road from Dublin to Belfast. The Parish or Cathedral Church has undergone various repairs, and has been lately much improved. It derives most of its peculiar interest by having been erected by the great and good bishop, the celebrated Jeremy Taylor, and containing his remains, as well as those of the late Bishops Percy, Rust, Digby and Wiseman. The old wall surrounding the graveyard has been completely pulled down and a beautiful railing fixed in Scotch freestone ; a good selection of choice evergreens beautifully planted within the railing giving the edifice a more beautiful appearance, and certainly improving that portion of the town. A number of the old cabins facing the wall have been pulled down, and large roomy and comfortable houses erected. The Episcopal residence adjoins the town, and was built in the time of Bishop Bernard, and the woods around it planted by Bishop Percy. In the See House resided the several bishops of the diocese up to 1843, when, at the death of Bishop Saurin, the diocese was annexed to Down and Connor, and the See House has passed into other hands, and is now the seat of James Quinn, Esq., J.P. The other places of worship in Dromore are two Presbyterian and two Methodist Churches, one for Covenanters, one Unitarian, and a Roman Catholic Chapel. The market is held on Saturday. Fairs on the first Saturday in March, on 12th May, first Saturday in August, 10th October, and the Saturday but one previous to Christmas in each year, being in all twelve fairs in the town, which are well attended ; a fair is also held on the first Saturday in each month, except the months herein named. Population, in 1871, 2,408.

Post Office, Church Street - Miss Carrothers, post mistress. Hours of Posting - For Banbridge, 8.30 a.m.; Belfast, etc., 8.30 and 10.35 a.m.; Scotland, via Belfast, 6 p.m.; to all parts, 8.20 a.m. Hours of Delivery - 7.40 a.m.; 1.35 and 4.55 p.m.
Dromore Gas Company - Chairman of Directors, John Harrison ; secretary, H. Gibson ; manager, John Meiklejohn

Places of Worship

The Cathedral - Bishop - Right Rev. Robert Knox, D.D. - Dean - Very Rev. J. Lefroy, A.M., Aghaderg. Archdeacon - Ven, Henry Stewart, D.D. Prebendary - Rev. J. Harding. Treasurer - Rev. Chas. Beresford Knox, A.M. Precentor - Rev. E. P. Brooke, Maralin. Chancellor - Rev. E. Robinson, Clonallen. Registrar - Mark A. Saurin. Apparitor - William Falkner. Organist - Henry W. Hall
First Presbyterian Church - Rev. J. K. Strain
Second Presbyterian Church - Rev. Jas. Rentoul
Wesleyan Church - Rev. Thomas Knox
Unitarian Church - Rev. David Thompson
Covenanting Church - Rev. Terence Boyd
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. Wm. McCarten

Public Institutions

Northern Banking Company, Church Street - W. S. Lamont, manager ; W. Adams, cashier
Railway - The Belfast, Lisburn and Banbridge Junction Railway Company, John Kinghan, station master
Petty Sessions are held on every alternate Thursday ; magistrates attending - E. Orme, R.M.; Stewart Blakney, William Cowan Heron, Geo. Brush, James Quinn, John Lindsay
Solicitors attending - Joseph Dickson, Dromore ; John F. Mulligan, Belfast ; Wellington Young, Lisburn ; Hugh Glass, Thomas Card, Andrew McClelland, Patrick Doyle, Banbridge
Clerk of Petty Sessions - J. B. McConnell. Districts - Dromore, Dromara and Ballynahinch.
Sub-Inspector of Constabulary - T. J. N. Robertson. Constable - Patrick Fitzgerald

Clergy, Gentry, etc.

Ainslie, Captain, Ballykeel House
Brush, G., J.P., Gillhall Castle
Clarke, John, commissioner for taking affidavits for superiors courts
Conyngham, Mrs., Iveagh Cottage
Cosbie, George, Church Street
Dickson, Joseph, attorney and coroner for southern divisions of County Down
Graham, Henry, surgeon, etc.
Harrison, John, Harrybrook
Harrison, Robert, The Cottage
Harrison, Alexander, Dromore
Hawthorne, S. F., M.B., surgeon, B.C.S.E.
Henderson, J., Mount Ida
Hobart, Mrs., Lagan Lodge
Hammond, The Misses, Princes Street
Knox, Rev. Chas. B., Quilly House
Lamont, W. S., Northern Bank
Minnis, Rev. W. B., Mossvale
Lindsay, Miss, Princes Street
Lindsay, John, J.P., Tullyhennan House
Murphy, Francis, Princes Street
McCarten, Rev. Wm., P.P., Dromore
McClelland, George, Lisnashanker House
McDade, Mrs. C., The Square
McGinness, Mrs., Ballyally House
McMurray, William, Percy Lodge
Quinn, James, J.P., The Palace
Sprott, William
Sprott, James
Sprott, Robert
Sprott, Mrs., Meeting Street
Strain, Rev. J. K., The Manse
Taylor, Miss, Rampart Place
Thompson, Rev. David, The Manse
Weir, Marshall, surgeon, medical officer, F.R.C.S.I.
Waddell, Colonel, Islanderry House

Traders. etc.

Allen, David, spirit dealer
Anderson, James, grocer
Anderson, John, linen manufacturer
Arlow, Mrs., milliner and dress maker
Baird, William, grocer
Bronti, John, woollen draper
Bennett, Thomas, mechanic
Bonnar, Andrew, saddlery
Boal, Joseph, spirit store and seed merchant
Biggens, Owen, civil bill officer
Brennan, Peter, spirit dealer and grocer
Brennan, Wm., spirit dealer and grocer
Carrothers, S. R. M., postmistress
Cargin, Alex., woollen draper, etc.
Clarke, John, finisher, etc.
Clarke, Robert, national teacher
Clarke, Wm., spirit dealer
Cosbie, George, linen manufacturer
Caughey, James, saddler
Dawson, Mary, spirit dealer
Dickson, John M., linen manufacturer
Dowey, Wm., grocer and provision dealer
Edgar, R. S., woollen draper
Frackelton, James, grocer and seed merchant
Finch, John, painter
Gibson, Henry, town clerk
Guiney, Mrs., delf store
Hamilton, John, hemstitching & veining factory
Harrison, John & Co., linen manufacturers, etc.
Herron, Henry, grocer
Herron, Hugh, spirit dealer
Herron, David, woollen draper
Haydock, Rich., linen and cambric manufacturer
Ireland, John, spirit dealer
Jardine, John, general merchant
Jardine, Wm., hemstitcher and finisher
Jackson, James, tailor and cutter
Jelly, Andrew, woollen draper
Kennedy, The Misses, milliners
Liggitt, John, shoe maker
Mahood, Robert R., grocer
Mallagh, Wm., baker
Mallagh, James, baker and flour merchant
Mattin, John, weight master
Martin, John E., grocer
Mathers, Mrs., grocer and china monger
Mercer, James, woollen draper
Millar, Wm., hotel keeper and coach builder
Mills, John, posting establishment
Mercer, Hugh George, draper
Magill, William, shoe maker
Martin, Miss, dress maker
McCartney, Edward, woollen draper
McCaw, Wm., grocer, hardware & wine merchant
McDade, James, leather cutter
McDade, John, spirit dealer
McGrady, Patrick, grocer
McGrady, Wm., seed merchant
McMurray & Firth, Bleachers & finishers, Dromore Bleach Works
McMurray, W., & Co., linen merchants
McMurray, John, spirit merchant
McIlduff, John, baker
McIlwaine, ?, grocer
McCammon, William, grocer
McRoberts, Mrs., dress maker
McCavitt, John, grocer and cattle dealer
McGeown, Mrs., refreshment rooms
Napier, Wm., hotel keeper
Nelson, John, pawn broker and woollen draper
Northern Fire and Life Insurance Office - agent, John Clarke, Market Square
O'Hair, John, spirit dealer
O'Neill, Francis, baker
O'Neill, Chas., spirit dealer, grocer and provision merchant
Pantridge, Isaac, carpenter
Preston, George, woollen draper
Preston, Francis, sewing machine agent
Rowan, John, haberdasher and leather merchant
Saul, Wm., woollen draper and haberdasher
Sprott, Wm. & Co., linen and cambric manufacturers
Stewart, Charles, grocer
Smyth, William, coal merchant
Scott, Nelson, watch maker
Stevenson, William John, watch maker and jeweller
Spence, Robert, & Co., Lawn Cambric and Shirt Front Manufacturers
Sherrard, Andrew, grocer, etc.
Watson, Edward, reed manufacturer
Watson, John, auctioneer and valuer, commission agent and general surveyor
Watson, Wm., spirit merchant
Watson, Wm., grocer, provision dealer and coal monger
Watson, Arthur, woollen draper and haberdasher
Watson, Adam, grocer and provision dealer
Watson, Arthur, boot and leather merchant
Wallace, R. S., grocer, hardware and seed merchant
Welsh, Jane, stamp distributor
Weir, J., pawn broker and woollen draper

1910 Dromore Directory

 

DROMORE, CO. DOWN

Seventeen and a half miles from Belfast.
A Market Town, with numerous factories and corn mills, the chief industry being linen.
Market days, Wednesday and Saturday.
Fair day, second Saturday in each month; half-yearly, 12th May and 10th October.
Weekly half-holiday, every Thursday.
Population, 2,800.

POST OFFICE

--Mrs. Mary C. M'Cleery, Postmistress.
Despatch--Week-days, 10-15 a.m., 1-0, 2-40, 5-40, 8-30 p.m.; Sundays, 8-30 p.m. Deliveries--Weekdays, 7-0, 11-5 a.m., and 5-55 p.m.; Sundays, 7 a.m.
Urban Council--George Castles, chairman; James Dickson, vice-chairman; Robert Watson, Thomas Ervine, W. J. Napeer,John Graham,  John Alex. M'Master, James Dickson, Thomas V. L. Watson
Town Clerk--A. F. Wright
Urban School Attendance Committee meet in Town Hall on first Wednesday of each month--Chairman, Mr. J. P. M'Crea, J.P.; secretary, Samuel Stewart; attendance officer, Joseph Baird
Rural School Attendance Committee meet on first Wednesday each month in Petty Sessions Office--Chairman, J. P. M'Crea, Esq., J.P.; secretary, D. Duncan; attendance officer, James Kerr
Town Surveyor--W. W. Larmour; assistant county surveyor, R. D. MaCoun, C.E., Hillsborough
Gas Company--Robert Marshall, manager; Robert Marshall,  jun., secretary
Commissioners of Affidavits--John Watson, A. F. Wright, solicitor

PLACES OF WORSHIP

The Cathedral--Bishop, Right Rev. Thomas Welland, D.D.; dean, Rev. R. S. O'Loughlin, D.D.;. prebendary, Rev. H. W. Lett, M.A.; archdeacon, Ven. E. D. Atkinson, LL.B.; treasurer, Canon Grierson, A.M.; chancellor, Rev. Canon Harding, M.A.; rector, Rev. W. J. Cooke, B.D.; curate, Rev. W. W. W. Scott, B.A.; organist, Miss Hamilton; sexton, George Faulkner
First Presbyterian Church--Rev. John Carson Greer
Second Presbyterian Church--Rev. James Rentoul, M.A.
Methodist Church--Rev. M. J. Lewis
Unitarian Church--Rev. Alfred Davison
Covenanting Church--Rev. Torrens Boyd
Roman Catholic Chapel--Rev. John O'Hare, P.P.; Rev. P. Fitzpatrick, curate

NATIONAL SCHOOLS

Church of Ireland--D. G. Loughrey, principal
Presbyterian Church--William Ruddock and James M'Caw, B.A., principals
Roman Catholic--Timothy Revel, principal
Dromore Reading Room--Robert John Watson secretary; William J. Hutchinson, treasurer
Dromore Intermediate School--Mrs. Johnston Cochrane, headmistress

 

PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS

Northern Banking Company, Church street--John Smith, manager; F. D. Agnew, cashier; Robert Aiken, clerk
Railway--The Great Northern Railway Company (Ireland)--James Irvine, station-master
Petty Sessions are held on fourth Tuesday of each month; magistrates attending--Thomas Harrison, J. R. Minnis, John E. Martin,John Johnston,  Patrick Fitzgerald, T. D. Gibson, R.M.; George Brush, Francis M'Kee, M.D., William Cowan Heron, Robert Taylor, George M'Kittrick, James P. M'Crea. Districts Dromore and Dromara
Solicitors attending--John F. Mulligan, Belfast; F. W. M'Williams, Hugh Hayes, Lurgan; Messrs. Moorhead & Wood, Belfast; Robert B. Wallace. Solicitors resident--T. B. Wallace, Wm. Baxter, A. F. Wright, and Samuel M'Connell
District Inspector of Constabulary, W. H. Hussey; Sergeant, Wm. Verner; sum- mons server, Thomas Mackin
Process Server--James Haskins
West Down Unionist Association--Chairman, James Dickson,  secretary, Alf. Fielding Wright, solicitor; treasurer, James H. Burns
Inspector of Weights and Measures--Sergeant Walker, Dromora
Relieving Officer--William J. Adams
Cowan Heron Hospital, Dromore--Honorary Medical Officers--Dr. Campbell, Dr. Cowden, Dr. Martin, Dr. M'Kee, Dr. Carlisle, Dr. A. G. Heron. Honorary Consulting Specialists--Diseases of Women and Children--Dr. John Campbell, Belfast; Eye, Ear, and Throat, Dr. Joseph Nelson, Belfast. Hon. Consulting Physicians and Surgeons--Dr. Henry O'Neill, Belfast; Dr. Beggs, Belfast; Sir William Whitla, Dr. St. George. Hon. Treasurer--J. R. Minniss, Esq., J.P., Mossvale house, Dromore. Hon. Secretary--T. B. Wallace, Regentville, Dromore. Secretary--R. J. Hunter, Banbridge road, Dromore. Matron--Miss M'Kittrick

INHABITANTS

Allen, David, spirit dealer
Ardery, Sam., The Central Hardware Store
Arlow, Mrs., milliner and dressmaker
Archibald, Samuel
Armstrong, Wm., jeweller
Bailie, Mrs., Dromore dining and refreshment rooms
Baird, John A., clerk
Baird, Joseph, clerk of markets
Barr, Samuel, compositor
BAXTER, W., B.A., R. U. I., Solicitor, The Square
M'Murray Bros.
Bell & Coulter, The Misses, milliners
Bennett, George, saddler
Bennett, Hawthorne, cycle agent
Bennett, Wm., saddler
Bigham, William J., tailor
Boal, Robert, grocer and insurance agent
Boyd, David, bootmaker and rural postman
Brown, John, agent for Inglis, Ltd.
Burns, James, spirt dealer
Burns, James H., contractor and builder
Campbell, The Misses, dress and mantle makers, Lower Mount street
Carlisle, S. B., M.D.
Carrothers, S.
Castles, George, boot and leather merchant.
Caulfield, John, grocer, provision, tea, wine and spirit merchant, and seed merchant and artificial manures, Market square
Chambers, Mrs. Jane, grocer, hardware, and spirit merchant
Clarke, Albert, architect:
Clarke, Agnes, spirit dealer
Clokey, Robert, bootmaker
Cowden, W. J., M.D., medical officer of health and registrar of births, marriages and deaths; dispensary
Craig, Ann, entertainment and greengrocer
Cull, Bernard, lodgings
DALE, JAMES, M.P.S.I., Chemist and Stationer, The Pharmacy, Dromore
Davidson, Samuel, baker and grocer
Dawson, Isaac, spirit dealer and posting establishment
Derby & Son, contractors, &c.
Doake, J. A., Percy lodge, factory manager
Dowie, Mrs., grocer and provision merchant
Dromore Hemstitching Co., Ltd.--James Dickson, manager
"Dromore Weekly Times and West Down Herald," Bridge street--R. J. Hunter, editor and proprietor
Dunbar & M'Master, grocers, &c.
Duncan, Charles, woollendraper and haberdasher
Duncan, David, fire and life insurance agent, commissioner of oaths
Ellison, John, carpenter and furniture dealer
Ervine, Thomas, grocer, &c.
Ervine, J., & Co., drapers and outfitters
Ferris, Thos., posting establishment, wine and spirit merchant, Wellington Hotel, Prince's street
Ferris, Thomas, Wellington Hotel
Fitzpatrick, Mrs., confectioner and tobacconist
Fitzsimmons, James, grocer and egg merchant
Fulton, James, reedmaker and confectioner
Fulton, Miss, confectioner
GRAHAM, JAMES, Painter and Glazier, Market Square
GRAHAM, JOHN, Builder and Contractor
Grant, Hugh, farrier and blacksmith
Griffin, W. H., chemist, The Medical Hall
Hale, Joseph, butcher
HALE, RICHARD J., & CO., Fleshers, Poulterers and Provision Merchants
Hamilton, John, hemstitching and veining factory, Otter lodge
Hamilton, John, sewing agent and finisher, Market square
Haskins, James, process server
Herron, David, woollendraper
Hilt, James, posting establishment
Hobart, Henry, architect, Lagan lodge
Huston, John, ex-sergeant R.I.C.
Hutchinson, Mrs., milliner
Hutchinson, Wm. James, factory manager
Jardine, Miss, Clanmurry
Jardine, Wm., & Co., hemstitchers and finishers
Jelly, Andrew, woollendraper and tailor
Johnston, Hugh, draper, &c.
Johnston, John, fowldealer
Jordan, Samuel, spirit dealer
Kennedy, The Misses, milliners
Kernaghan, Jacob, town porter
Kerr, Mrs., teacher of vocal and instrumental music
Kilpatrick, Samuel, hairdresser
Ledgett, James, victualler
Ledgett & Son, butchers
Lilly, Anthony, sheriff's officer
Loughrey, David G., N. S. teacher
Mackey, R. H., R.D.C., Ballaney
Magill, Fred., posting establishment
Magill, Joseph, bootmaker
Martin, John E., J.P., grocer
Martin, Joseph, grocer, &c.
Martin, Robert, The Grove
Mercer, Jas., woollendraper, Market square
Mercer, William Jas., draper, Bridge street
Minnis, Carley, Mossvale
Minnis, Edward
MINNIS, W. B., Linen Manufacturer
Minnis, John R., J.P., linen manufacturer
Monteith, H. E., law clerk and Press correspondent
Moore, Nathaniel, billposter
Morgan, Henry, bootmaker
Morrison, Anthony, grocer
Mulligan, John, Crown Hotel, and seed merchant
Murphy, John, coal merchant
M'Bride, Mrs., refreshments
M'Calister, George, boot and shoe merchant
McCarthy, James, mason and builder
M'Caw, James, B.A., school teacher
M'Clelland, W., mechanic and cycle agent, Market square
M'Clelland, William, cycle agent
M'Cleery, Mrs., postmistress
M'Clughan & Millveigh, sewing agents and finishers
M'Cormick, William, coal dealer
M'CREA, JAMES P., J.P., Select Family Grocer, Seed Merchant, and Funeral Director, Church Street
M'Dade, Elizabeth, spirit dealer
M'Dade, James, Gallows street
M' Dowell, J., spirit dealer
M'Fadden, Samuel, farrier and blacksmith
M'Geown, Joseph, boot and shoe maker
M'Grady, Patrick, grocer and spirit dealer
M'Ilwain, Richard, saddler and harness mkr
M'Kaig, Robert, tailor
M'Keag, John, tailor
M'Kee, Francis, M.B., J.P.
M'Nally, Alex., mechanic
M'Poland, John, tailor
M'Veigh, Hugh
Napier, William, Commercial hotel
Neeson, Patrick, grocer
Nelson, Joseph, pawnbroker and woollen-draper
Pantridge, Isaac, carpenter and coachbuilder
Parks, Joseph, barber and hairdresser
Parks, James, hairdresser and barber
Patterson, Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Poots, R. J., wholesale and retail grocer and
seed merchant, The Square
Porter, James, leather merchant, &c.
Preston, George, & Son, auctioneers, valuers, house and land agents
Sherrard, Andrew, butter and egg merchant
Smyth, Mrs., fancy goods dealer
Smyth, William, coal merchant
Smyth, William, V.S., M.R.C.V.S.
Spence, David, Mariville
SPENCE & CO., Hemstitchers
Stewart, James, grocer, &c.
Stewart, Robert
Stewart, Samuel, grocer
Thompson, James, hardware merchant
WALLACE, R. S., Hardware and Seed Merchant
WALLACE, T. B., Solicitor; Solicitor to the Dromore Urban Council and to the Dromore Gas Company, Church street
Ward, Josiah, spirit and wine merchant
Watson, Adam, grocer and provision dealer
Watson, Arthur, boot and leather merchant
Watson, Hugh, posting establishment
Watson, John, auctioneer, valuer, house and land agent, land surveyor, and commissioner for oaths
Watson, John, Bann Hill house
Watson, Robert, spirit merchant
Waugh, George, barrister-at-law, J.P., Scion hill
Wilkinson, J., bootmaker and leather merchant
Wilkinson, R., coachbuilder
Wilson, Margaret, dressmaker
Wilson, Miss, dressmaker
Wright, Alfred Fielding, solicitor, commission of oaths, Watson's villas
Young, Robert, practical watchmaker and jeweller
Young, Miss, confectioner

FARMERS

Agnew, Mrs., Coolsallogh
Alexander, John, Ballykeel
Armstrong, Henry, Coolsallogh and Post Office
Baxter, Charles, Clanmurray
Beck, Samuel, Ballysallogh
Bennett, James, Tulycairn house
Bingham, Mrs., Post Office, Ballysallogh
Campbell, James, Aughandunvarran
Coulter, Hamilton, Marabeg
Crookshanks, Wm., Ballyvicknakelly
Dale, Henry, Fortiscue, Blackskull
Davison, John S., Bullsbrook, Drumillar
Dennison, William J., Enogh
Dolloughan, S. J., Marabeg
English, Robert, Ballaney
Ferguison, James, Lake view, Growell
Fitzsimmons, Samuel, Quilley
Gibson, John, Drumbroneth
Graham, Robert, R.D.C., Tullyglush
Guiney, Hugh, Ballynaris
Hamilton, D., Orchard hill, Drumanocken
Hamilton, James, Grove hill
Henderson, A., Mount Ida
Hobart, George, Tully cottage
Hynds, John G., Drumskee
Jameson, Robert, Fair view
Johnston, John, J.P., Edenordinary
Kelly, Alexander, Tullendoney
Lavery, Thomas, farmer, Enfield, Ballykeel, Dromore
Mackey, R. H., R.D.C., Ballaney
Magee, James, Ballaney
Martin, Alexander, Backnamallogh
Martin, James, Ballymacormick
Martin, Mrs., Diamond view, Skeogh
Martin, William, Ballyvicknakelly
Martin, William John, The Wood
Mercer, George, Gallows street
Mercer, John, Ballynaris
Mercer, William John, Park view
Mills, Mrs., Ballynaris
Mills, Mrs., Drumbroneth
Moore, Hercules, Ballynaris
Moore, Misses, manufacturers and farmers, Ashfield house
Moorhead, William, Larch hill
Mulligan, David, Orchard hill
Murphy, Thomas, coal merchant, Church street, Dromore
M'Cartan, Michael, spirit merchant and farmer, Ballella
M'Clure, Alex. W., manufacturer and farmer, Edenteroory
Pantridge, Andrew, Backnamullagh
Patterson, John, Listullycurran
Poots, Mrs., Ballynaris
Poots, Robert, Magherabeg
Scott, Hugh, manufacturer, Blackskull
Shannon, Joseph, Edentrillick
Smith, Robert, Garvaghy
Sprott, Henry, Ednego
Strong, Joseph, Tullyglush
Taylor, Moses, Larch hill
Thompson, Robert, Listullycurran
Todd, George, manufacturer and farmer, Park Row house
Tweedy, Andrew, Backnamullagh
Vaughan, Rev. George H., Quilley house
Watson, Hugh, Ballyvicknakelly
Wilson, James, grocer, Blackskull
Wilson, William, grocer and spirit dealer, post office, Kinallen