Kilkeel

County Down

Raymondscountydownwebsite

Annalong From the Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory for 1910

 

ANNALONG, COUNTY DOWN.
Five miles from Newcastle.
Industries - Granite Quarrying and Fishing.
Harbour, commodious.
Population, 301.

POST AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE.
- William M'Math, Postmaster.
Letters delivered in town by postman at 8 a.m. and 12.40 p.m.
The rural delivery of letters commences at 8 a.m. to the Townlands of Mullertown and Glassdrummond.
Mails arrive from Newry at 8 a.m.; despatched from Annalong at 10.30 a.m.; arrive at Annalong at 12.45 p.m.; Mail despatched for Newry at 10.30 a.m. and 5.15 p.m.; and Inland Revenue Office.
R. I. Constabulary Barrack - Sergeant R. Dinsmore and three constables

PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Church of Ireland - Rev. J. Quinn, M.A. (rector), Rural Dean
Presbyterian Church - Rev. David Hadden
Methodist Church - Rev. W. Maguire and Rev. C. Baskin
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. J. R. Murphy, P.P., and Rev. G. M'Kay, C.C.

INHABITANTS.
Agnew, Samuel, farmer
Andrews, Captain, The Anchorage
Annett, Hugh, fowl dealer
Annett, James, Brackney
Annett, James, farmer, Moneydarraghbeg
Annett, Robert, shoemaker
Annett, W., farmer, Blackrock
Annett, William, publican, Ballymartin
Atkinson, Arthur, farmer, Ballymartin
Atkinson, Maxwell, Mullertown house
Belfast Banking Co., Limited - Office open every Tuesday, 12 to 2 p.m.
Bell, R., grocer
Black, T., Waterworks lodge
Brown, G. Herbert, The Hut
Brown, Mrs., The House
Burden, James, farmer, Glassdrummond
Campbell, James, & Sons, tailors
Campbell, John, Glassdrummond
Campbell, J., & Sons, tailors, Ballymartin
Campbell, Marshall, stonemason
Caren, Captain Henry
Caren, James, grocer
Carr, J. J., farmer, Glassdrummond
Carr, Miss H., sewing agent, Glassdrummond
Caulfield, R., tailor
Carvin, S., nurse
Chambers, Captain H.
Chambers, Captain William
Connor, John, shipcarpenter
Connor, Mrs., Temperance Hotel
Cooper, John, farmer
Cooper, William, grocer, Mullertown
Cougherty, William, C.G. station officer
Cousins, Francis, grocer, Moneydara
Cousins, Hugh, grocer
Cousins, Robert, house carpenter
Cowden, R., egg merchant, Ballymartin
Cromwell, Samuel, farmer, Glassdrummond
Croskery, F., farmer
Crothers, Nathaniel, National School teacher
Crutchley, Hugh, coal merchant
Crutchley, William, baker, Ballyvea
Cunningham, Charles, fish merchant
Cunningham, Nicholas, fowl dealer
Curran, Thomas, fish dealer, Glassdrummond
Dolan, Miss, Roslyn
Donnan, Mrs., grocer
Doran, James, farmer, Ballyrea
Doran, Maggie, grocer
Doran, William, Longstone
Edgar, John, farmer, Mullertown
Fisher, J. M., Seaside house
Flanagan, M., grocer
Gibney, Alexander, 2 Marieville
Gibney, William, publican
Gibney, William, 1 Marieville
Gibson, John, farmer, Mullertown
Gordon, Alex., jun., Press correspondent
Gordon, Alex., stonemason
Gordon, Alex., & Son, general merchants
Gordon, A., Bay view
Gordon, A., jun., reporter
Gordon, Dr., Gordonville
Gordon, James, butcher
Gordon, John, harbourmaster
Gordon, John, & Son, general merchants
Gordon, Mrs., teacher, Mullertown cottage
Gordon, Mrs. A., grocer
Gordon, Mrs. M. E., refreshments
Gordon, Robert, farmer, Mullertown
Gordon, Robert, farmer, Quarter road
Gordon, R., Roslyn terrace
Gordon, Samuel, pilot
Gordon, W., general draper and spirit merct.
Gordon, W. J., sexton
Gordon & Co., drapers
Gordon & M'Burney, granite merchants
Hadden, Rev. Mr., The Manse
Hamilton, Abraham, general merchant
Hamilton, A., & Son, Annalong Steam Mills
Hamilton, Robert, O'Rork's park
Hamilton, Samuel, farmer
Hanna, L., grocer,
Haugh, Charles, farmer, Ballyvea
Haughain, Daniel, farmer, Ballyvea
Herbert, Edward, pensioner
Henry, J., Brackney hall
Hill, Robert, Australian house
Hunter, D., school teacher
Irvine, Edward, farmer, Ballyvea
Jardine, D. A., contractor
Jones, George, monumental works
Jones, William, stonemason
Kearney, Captain John
Kelso, James, farmer
Kelly, F. J., spirit merchant, Mullertown
Kertland, Miss F., Benavon lodge
Kernaghan, Captain John
Ketterson, Captain A.
Killen, B., blacksmith
Linton, John, general merchant
Linton, John, jun., grocer and general merchant
Little, James, farmer
Lot, Smye, pensioner, Annalong
Maginn, John, granite merchant, Glassdrummond
Maginn, J. S., stone merchant, Mullertown
Matthews, R., farmer, Moneydarraghbeg
Mayhew, George, boot and shoemaker
Mayhew, L., grocer
Minnis, Nicholas, farmer, Brackney
Mitchell, J., school teacher, Ballymartin
Moore, D., grocer, Ballymartin
Moore, John, farmer, Ballyvea
Moore, Joseph, farmer, Moneydara
Murphy, Rev. J. R., Parochial house, Glassdrummond, Annalong
M'Burney, Captain Charles
M'Burney, James, Kilhorne
M'Burney, John, baker
M'Burney, Thomas, farmer
M'Burney, William, collector
M'Cann, E., blacksmith, Ballyvea
M'Cartan, Henry, fowl dealer
M'Carten, Henry, shoemaker
M'Cormack, John, grocer, Ballymartin
M'Cormick, John, farmer, Moneydarraghbeg
M'Cormick, Robert, posting establishment
M'Cormick, R., farmer, Moneydarraghmore
M'Cracken, Hugh, farmer
M'Cracken, T., farmer, Mullertown
M'Crumb, John, school teacher
M'Cullough, John, sexton
M'Cullough, Mary, grocer, Moneydara
M'Cullough, Samuel, farmer, Mullertown
M'Dowell, John, farmer
M'Dowell, Robert, grocer
M'Ginn, James, saddler
M'Ginn, J. S., granite merchant, Mullertown
M'Veigh, school teacher, Moneydara
M'Kay, Rev. G., C.C., Ballymartin
M'Kee, Mrs., school teacher, Ballyvea
M'Kibbin, A., Riverside
M'Kibbin, Henry, butcher
M'Kibbin, J., monumental works
M'Kibbin, J., grocer
M'Kibbin, Mrs., publican, Ballymartin
M'Kibbin, William, cattle dealer
M'Kibbin, W. J., farmer, Hill house
M'Knight, Andrew, posting establishment
M'Knight, Andrew, egg merchant
M'Knight, John, farmer, Moneydara
M'Knight, Mrs., draper
M'Knight, Robert, farmer
M'Math, Miss B., confectionery
M'Math, William, post office
M'Neilly, H.
M'Neilly, Joseph, Glassdrummond house
M'Veigh, J., farmer, Glassdrummond
M'Veigh, Miss, grocer
Newell & Co., drapers
Newell, John, farmer, Moneydarraghmore
Newell, Miss, dressmaker
Newell, William, Glassdrummond
Newell, Wm., farmer, Moneydarraghmore
Norris, Allan, carpenter
Nugent, George, grocer, Ballyvea
Nugent, F., hairdresser and cycle agent
Nugent, Samuel, farmer
O'Hare, P., egg merchant
O'Neill, John, Glassdrummond
Orr, Edward, merchant, Ballyveamore
Orr, John, Alpha, Annalong
Orr, John, cattle dealer
Orr, Joseph, coal merchant, Ballyvea
Orr, Miss, china and fancy warehouse
Orr, Samuel, grocer, Ballymartin
Orr, W., flesher
Perry, Samuel, farmer, Ballymartin
Phillis, John Gordon, grocer
Pierce, J., farmer
Pollin, J., farmer, Glassdrummond
Porter, Mrs., grocer, Glassdrummond
Pue, A., grocer, Stoneycroft
Pue, A., farmer
Purdy, James, Ash Farm
Purdy, John, blacksmith
Purdy, Mr. and Mrs., school teachers, Kilhorne
Purdy, W., Roslyn cottage
Quin, Henry, cattle dealer, Brackney
Quin, John, mountain herd
Quin, Rev. J., Kilhorne Rectory
Rahilly, J., school teacher, Moneydara
Reilly, Francis, farmer, Moneydarraghbeg
Rice, Hugh, carpenter
Robinson, Alex., general merchant
Robinson, Andrew, grocer, Mullertown
Robinson, A., Seaview
Robinson, Samuel, Lurgan house
Rodgers, Mrs., grocer, Moneydara
Rogers, Wm., fish buyer, Glassdrummond
Rooney, Daniel, farmer, Mullertown
Russel, C., grocer
Russell, Mrs., grocer, Mullertown
Russell, R., Clash bridge
Russell, William, farmer
Savage, J., farmer, Glassdrummond
Scott, Alfred, butcher
Scott, Duncan, boat builder
Skillen, R., grocer, Glassdrummond
Skillen, W., farmer, Ballyvea
Smith, John, farmer, Glassdrummond
Smith, P., Reese Farm
Smith, William, bailiff, Dunnywater
Stevenson, H., farmer, Ballymartin
Stewart, James, grocer
Thompson, J., Glassdrummond cottage
Trainor, Miss, school teacher, Mullertown
Trainor, P., school teacher
Wallace, James, farmer, Glassdrummond
White, James, grocer
Willis, F. W., Glassdrummond, and 50 Thurloe square, South Kensington, London
Young, Adam, farmer, Ballyvea
Young, J., fish merchant
Young, William, farmer

http://www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com

Annalong

The name of the village of Annalong (Ford of the Ships) may well date back to the days of the Vikings when their longships found shelter in the 'wee hole' at the mouth of Annalong River where the harbour was later built. Until the gravel bar was breached at Kilkeel in the 1870s, Annalong was the principal harbour along the Mourne coast. Walter Harris, in The Antient and Present State of the County of Down, writing of harbours along the Mourne coast, noted that "that of Islealong is the best, though it will not receive any vessel but what are under 20 tons". (the name Islealong was used occasionally up the middle of the last century).

Prior to 1800 granite kerbstones, locally known as 'kribben' were being exported from Annalong to the west coast ports of Britain in converted fishing boats. As the granite industry developed purpose-built schooners were used and by 1900 a fleet of over thirty such vessels operated from the harbour. The demand for granite has changed and to satisfy the demand large blocks of different coloured granites are now imported from all over the world to be cut and polished in the village.

During the building of the Silent Valley reservoir practically all the material used was imported through Annalong from where it was transported by a purpose-built standard gauge railway to the site. Up until the second world war Annalong had a considerable fishing industry but the harbour was too small to accommodate the larger vessels and they moved to Kilkeel though the inshore fishermen continued to operate from Annalong where much of the catch is processed for export.

A corn mill near the harbour has recently been restored to working order and a fishing vessel on dry land near the Marina will hopefully form the nucleus of a future Maritime Museum. The Ship's davit erected nearby is reputed to have come from the ill - fated S.S. Lusitania, the passenger liner sunk off County Cork in 1915.


The Early Years ... in the 1800's

Like practically every place-name in Mourne, the name Annalong derives from the Irish Celtic (Gaelic) - Ath na Long and means 'the ford of the ships'- a reference not to the harbour, but some crossing on the river near where it enters the sea. It probably relates to Viking times of around a thousand years ago when the longships found some shelter at the mouth of the river.

The name does not appear on any document prior to Symington's Survey of 1655, probably because it is not a townland. In the Census Report of 1659 Annalong is referred to as a 'quarter'- a sub-division of a townland - in this case Moneydarraghmore. Neighbouring townlands are Mullartown (meaning Dortan's bare or round summit), Money darraghmore (dark thicket or scrub), Glasdrumman (green ridge), and Ballyveagh (MacVeigh's townland).

There is little or no material evidence of the Vikings ever having settled here though there are some words in the local dialect which would appear to suggest Norse influence. 'Selk' is the local name for the common seal; to 'set allow' is to set on fire; to 'hain' is to eke out; 'holm' refers to low-lying land close to the river. Up until recently, fish were normally sold by count and the long (Norse) hundred of six score was used. The traditional method of counting fish meant that a 'hundred' actually contained one hundred and twenty seven fish! The Vikings are also said to have introduced the clinker-built boat with the lower edge of each plank overlapping the one below, like the slates on a roof. This method of construction was favoured by local fishermen until recent times and is still used on occasions.

Whilst the link with the Vikings may be tenuous, there is firmer evidence for much earlier human habitation. During the middle 1980s, when some minor excavation was being carried out during the making of the Marine Park at Annalong, eighty nine pieces of humanly-worked flint were turned up. There was insufficient evidence to date these artifacts but it is quite possible that they were between 6000 and 7000 years old and thus belong to the late Mesolithic period (middle Stone Age). There is also evidence of prehistoric settlement in nearby Moneydarraghmore townland, in the form of a standing stone known as the Long Stone. The function of such stones has been much debated. Some regard them as marking now destroyed graves, or as having astronomical significance. Others have postulated that they are territorial markers, or nothing more than scratching posts for cattle.

 

During the Early Christian era, in the second half of the first millennium, the Dal Fiatach, a clan based in the Downpatrick area, held sway over the region. Although the coastal side of the mountains is now referred to as the 'Kingdom of Mourne', it is unlikely that it was ever a kingdom in the proper sense, even at this time.

Although Saint Patrick did not enter this area, according to legend he did establish its boundaries when he threw his sandal from Strupatrick, a mile south of Newcastle to the Cassy Water between Kilkeel and Rostrevor. It was said locally that the print of his foot could be seen in the bed of the former stream until the present road bridge was built in the 19th century.

There are two schools of thought about the origin of the name Mourne. One is that it derives from the Gaelic more (great) and rinn (headland). The other is that the name was brought here during the 12th century by settlers from Cremorne in what is now Co Monaghan.

Unlike many regions along the east coast of Ireland, there is little material evidence of the Anglo-Normans. They built substantial castles at Greencastle and Dundrum but communication between these strongholds was likely to have been by sea. When De Courcy made his historic march from Dublin to Downe in 1177 he went by what is locally known as the 'back side' - the landward side of the mountains. Apart from the manor of Greencastle, there was apparently little English settlement anywhere else within the present Kingdom, and only two of the townlands, Greencastle and Grange, appear to have been named by the Anglo-Normans.

Geographically, Mourne has always been isolated from the rest of Co Down with only the coast road giving access until recent centuries. Writing of Mourne in 1744, Walter Harris noted: "From the inner harbour of Dundrum the coast bears south to Ballachaneir Point, and from thence has a western inclination for near four leagues to Cranfield Point, affording nothing remarkable, unless an iron shoar as far as Kirkeel, and a few boat harbours may be mentioned as such; of which that of Islealong is the best, though it will not receive any vessels but what are under twenty tons. " The names ' Islealong' or 'Islelong' and 'Kirkeel' were occasionally used up to the middle of the present century.

Annalong Fishing disaster 1814
(By Tom Porter)

http://www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com

Fishing Disasters

Early in the morning of the 10th January, 1814, about fifty boats, each carrying six or seven men, had left the Mourne coast for the fishing grounds off the mouth of Carlingford Lough. The day was reasonably good - the sea was calm and the wind light and variable. There had been a few showers during the night and a little snow lay on the ground but there were no indications that there was going to be a sudden change. They reached the fishing grounds just after ten o'clock and after a short time they noticed that bad weather was on the way from the south. They decided to head for home but were overtaken by a heavy snow shower and a strong south-westerly gale.

A report in the Belfast Newsletter of 12th January takes up the story: "On their arrival at the [Annalong] harbour, signals were made to prevent them coming in there. Two only succeeded in landing out of the six who attempted. The rest met a watery grave. The remainder of the boats proceeded along the shore, some filled at sea, some were upset and others dashed to pieces on the shore. Mourne has suffered a loss of twenty seven of its inhabitants, many of whom have left large and helpless families. It would be impossible to describe the distressing scene that was there witnessed - fathers, mothers, wives and sons inquiring and looking most anxiously for the fate of their relations. We understand two wherries (Clontarf hookers) and five boats from Newcastle were fishing off Annalong that day and it is said that thirteen of the latter were drowned." The report then goes on to list the names of the Mourne fishermen who were lost; all the bodies were later found along the shore.

On the day of the tragedy, Lieutenant Francis Chesney, son of Alexander Chesney, was on Slieve Bingian with a gun and a couple of dogs. he had returned to his native Mourne on Christmas leave from his army posting in Guernsey in December 1813. Finding that several members of his family were suffering from typhus, he had to spend much of the time outdoors. Just before noon the weather worsened and he decided to return home. When he reached the bottom of the Grove Road he heard someone shouting, "The boats are a-lossin!" He ran along the shore and just before reaching the harbour he saw a boat overturned in the water with a man near it. He jumped in and with great difficulty succeeded in rescuing Hugh Purdy, son of the owner of the boat. Chesney was so affected by the cold that he took several hours to recover.

On the morning after he had saved the life of Hughey Purdy, Francis Chesney was back at the harbour again. A vessel, the Leda of Lynn, was dragging her anchor and heading for the rocks. Francis, though his father tried to restrain him, waded across the rocks through the surf and with the help one of his father's boatmen, managed to get a line aboard the vessel by which the master and crew were safely brought ashore. A contemporary report noted, "Several Warrenpoint boats were surprised on the coast by the sudden storm. The vessels were upset and the men perished. The loss is not yet accurately ascertained but it is believed that at least forty men have been drowned. Lieutenant Chesney of the Royal Artillery, actuated by a true spirit of benevolence, swam boldly out in the midst of a tremendous sea and nobly saved the lives of some of his perishing fellow creatures at the imminent hazard of his own. A correspondent informs us that five merchant vessels have been wrecked off the Kilkeel coast and that the shore is covered with their ruins

Mourne fishermen lost in the 1814 tragedy
William Moore, John Stevenson, Hugh Wallace. Jun., #
Arthur McCartan, William Kerr, John McDowell,
R. McDonald, William Rodgers, William Montgomery ,
James McDonald, Robert Harrison, R. Gibson,
Nicholas Harrison, P. McCartan, McVeigh,
Thomas McKnight, William Pews, John McVeigh,
Hugh McVeigh, John Akinson, John Gibson,
Daniel Mooney, McCorrigan, Michael Magee,
James Cromwell Sr., T. Cromwell Sr.,

A ballad sheet printed in Newry and entitled The new sorrowful lamentation of the Mourne fishermen drowned on the 10th January 1814, immortalised the event:

Inspire me, Ye genius, to pen these few lines,
Assist me, ye muses, with verses sublime.
Concerning this misfortune that happened of late,
One thousand eight hundred and fourteen the date.

The tenth of January, on that fatal day,
When those jolly fishermen they put out to sea,
But such a misfortune never happened before
Which leaves many mourning along Mourne shore.

Great praise is due to Captain Chesney's son,
In the middle of danger to the quay he did run,
And swam o'er the waves like Leander of old,
And of young Hughey Purdy he quickly took hold.

He saved him from drowning, relief being near,
Wherein different forms grim death doth appear.
And brought him to land with the help of an oar,
Or he'd otherwise never have seen Mourne shore.

Francis Chesney, now twenty five years old, was awarded an Honorary Certificate by the Royal Humane Society for rescuing Hugh Purdy, and the French Shipwreck Society presented him with a medal for the part he played in rescuing the crew of the Leda.

Friday 13th January 1843 saw yet another tragedy, undoubtedly one of the worst ever to take place off the Mourne coast. The morning of that day was unusually fine with only a slight breeze blowing from the south. The few clouds gave no indication, even to the most experienced sailors, that the weather would suddenly change. One bystander, however, had some doubts:

Great praises are due to old William McVeigh,
That morning going out to the men he did say,
This morning reminds me so much of fourteen,
Says he, My brave boys in the bay don't be seen.
They said to each other they couldn't be beat,
There's no waves in the ocean can make us retreat,
Our lines they are strong and our boats they, are stout,
And. for that very reason we will venture out.

Ten boats from Newcastle and six from Lower Mourne set off for the fishing grounds known as the ' Bleachyards' , seven or eight miles out in the channel. On reaching them, the skies darkened and in an incredibly short time the wind quickly veered to the north-west and west. Within minutes a violent gale was blowing and snow clouds appeared in the sky. It was time to run for shelter. A number of the vessels withstood the first shock but several were capsized in the struggle. One of the yawls, with six men, by almost super-human exertions, managed to reach Killough. The men were so exhausted that it took several hours for them to recover. By noon it was snowing heavily; an icy wind tugged at the boats while great waves pounded into them. The men pulled on the oars and hoped that they would soon reach shelter.

Onlookers on shore realised that the fishermen were in considerable danger and a boat was launched at Annalong to go to their assistance. Before it had travelled a hundred yards it was smashed to pieces on the rocks and all hands were lost. Farther along the coast (some say at the Spring Well) another boat was launched and it suffered the same fate. Attempts were made at Glasdrumman, Dunmore and Newcastle to launch rescue boats but again to no avail. Within less than one hour twelve courageous men, going to the assistance of the fishermen had lost their lives.

The beach was crowded to extreme with men of valiant fame,
Who nobly put their boats to sea to top the foaming main,
Intending these poor victims their precious lives to save,
But to their sad misfortune they all met a watery grave.

Before darkness fell the extent of the tragedy was known - forty six men from Newcastle and twenty seven from Mourne had found watery graves. Of the ten boats which had left Newcastle that morning, only three returned.

The Mourne victims who had gone to the aid of the fishermen were Daniel McNeilly, John Doran, John McCrum, Samuel Gordon, Henry Burden, James McKibben, Patrick Savage, John McGrory, Hugh McGrory, Thomas McGrory, John McStay and Bernard McGrory The Mourne fishermen who lost their lives were Daniel McNeilly, Robert McIlveney, Pat McIlveney, Adam Trew, John Skillen, James Hughes, James Morrison, Bernard Doran, John Orr, Hugh Smith, Charles McGrory, Daniel McGrory, John Cunningham, John McCreanor and Hugh Curran.

It would appear from the names that many of these men were from the Glasdrumman and Dunmore areas. Indeed, one of the numerous poems written about the event is entitled The Glasdrumman Fishermen and contains the lines:

George Thompson of Glasdrumman, a man of noble fame,
His conduct good upon that day will honour to him gain.
Just like a skilful mariner, a wharf he did provide,
To save the lives of eight brave men who did at anchor ride.

And James Maginn and Cromwell, I can't half sound their praise,
Just like the bold Leander who topped the foaming wave.
With courage bold undaunted, for two long miles and more,
Took eight men from McGreevy's boat and brought them safe ashore.

And likewise John McGreevy, upon that dismal day,
He ventured twice through sleet and snow upon the stormy sea
It was to save the 'Nancy's' crew, but Morrison is no more,
For brave young Smith and Curran so bold expired on the shore.

The George Thompson referred to in the first line was a member of the family who held most of the land in Glasdrumman. It was stated that the total number left destitute as a result of the disaster was: one hundred and eighteen children, twenty seven widows, fourteen heads of families, three orphans and two aunts.

Newcastle town is one long street entirely stripped of men,
And near to it a village small has lost no less than ten
In Annalong  a widow woman three sons from her were torn,
So widows, orphans and sweethearts may now weep in deep mourn.

Immediately following the disaster, a Belfast newspaper launched an appeal on behalf of the dependants of the victims. Local committees were also formed in Newcastle, Annalong and Kilkeel. When the committees met together it was decided that their efforts should be combined and that proceeds from the appeal should be divided two-thirds to the Newcastle committee and one-third to Mourne. Part of the proceeds were used by the Newcastle committee to build the Widows' Row which still stands overlooking the harbour.

Some time after the disaster several boats, believed to be from the ill-fated fleet, were washed up along the coast. One, found smashed to pieces at the south-west corner of Ireland bore the words "Nancy, owner Francis McGreevy." Another bore the word "McClelland" and yet another "Laurel of Newcastle."

Taken from a pamphlet produced in 1843 to raise funds for the bereaved families,

Belonging to Annalong
 

Names and Remarks
 

*Alexander Orr, 4 children, poor

*John Doran, 7 children, very poor

*John McCrum, A widowed mother,three brothers and three sisters

*Samuel Gordon, Father and mother and two sisters, poor

*Henry Burden, 1 child, very poor

*Patrick Savage, Father and mother with six children, very poor

*James McKibben, Father and mother, and three sisters, poor

*John McGrory, Widowed mother and widowed sister, two brothers and one sister, poor

*Hugh McGrory, one child, an orphan child about eight years old, poor

*Thomas McGrory, Father and mother, three brothers and one sister

*John McStay, five children, extremely poor, and widow pregnant

*Bernard McGrory, A father, mother and two sisters, very poor

Daniel McNeilly, four children, extremely poor

Robert McIlveney, A widowed mother, two orphan children ,extremely poor

Pat. McIlveney, two children, extremely poor and wife pregnant

Adam Trew, five children, extremely poor and widowed mother

James Hughes, Father and mother very old and one sister, very poor

John Skillen, four children, poor

James Morrison, Father and mother, two sisters ,poor

Bernard Doran, poor

Hugh Curran, An orphan sister, poor

Hugh Smith, Father and mother,one brother and one sister, poor

Daniel McGrory, An aged aunt and two brothers, poor

Charles McGrory, six children, very poor

John Cunningham, Father and mother, three sisters and one brother

John McCreanor, Father and mother with five young children, poor

John Orr, A widowed mother, three sisters and two brothers, poor

* These 12 men lost their lives in attempting to save the lives of others, and the Boat of John and Hugh McGrory was also lost.

VERSES   GRAVE AND GAY
From a Mourne Man's Scrap Book - (COMPOSED IN 1923)

REGATTA DAY AT ANNALONG 

In days gone by the big event of the year was the Annalong regatta.A group of country girls     walking down the road to the regatta at Annalong inspired the following lines:

We see the sun a-slantin' through the hedges in the lane,
We hear the laughin' breezes and the thrushes' song,
And we're headin' for the harbour, and hope it will not rain,
As this is regatta day at Annalong.
The oul' taypot on the shelf held a tidy bit o' money,
For we have skimped and saved to put a bit away,
Of savin's from the flowerin' and a bob or two we got of sonny,
To have a bit o' sport in Annalong the day,
We'll call in wi' Mrs. Linton and then wi' Mrs. Bill,
And take all the nice boys along,
The mist is curlin' up and spreadin' o'er the mountains,
And we're goin' to have some stir in Annalong